Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put my pathfinder in the shop to replace the timing belt. The car had died some time earlier and thats what the mechanics recommended. I got the car back and it was running really roughly and sounds horrible too. I drove the vehicle about 100 miles after picking it up from the shop and never hit 75mph on the interstate and thats pedal to the metal. Replaced plugs, wires, distributer and it still runs terrible. I am not a mechanic, really freaking out and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as how to get this thing back up and running like it used to.

1993, 170k, 4x4-ran great up until it died, now idles rough, sounds like exaust is leaking and has about half power. I will be checking this forum off and on and hope to hear back, thanks.:eek:

·
Registered
215 Posts
rough idle

do you have any check engine codes. have you done any thing else to the truck. and which motor do you have

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VG30E

The only light thats on is the ABS. I am not familier with codes and do not have the skills or equipment to check codes. I have not done anything else other than some pidlidink wiring, which is a long story. Oh yeah and I put a new battery in today drove around for 20 minutes and it killed it so maybe the alternator is chewing them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sounds like you may need a new alternator. just try not to get one from auto zone or rebuild it. i prefer dealer for that stuff or get it in the junk yard its better than aftermarket

·
Registered
75 Posts
well, if the timing belt was replaced, and the car runs like poo, take it back and have the mechanic look at it again

there is a lot of labor involved with a timing belt swap and something may have been missed along the way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure hope so

I took the truck to auto zone this morning and they tested the alternator and said it checked out ok. Sweet. I pinpointed and exhaust leak behind the drivers side manifold where it go's into the pipes, its that connection at the back of the manifold. I am going to undo it and I guess replace the gasket and see if that helps it at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me too!!

I have the EXACT same problem with my 91 SE! Rough idle like it's not hitting on all cylinders, loud exhaust, even the ABS light. I had a broken timing belt & replaced it myself, as well as an intake valve that got bent when it broke. I just cranked it up tonight & have all these problems. Haven't driven it yet, so don't know if the battery will die or what kind of power it will have (probably not much). Have you had any luck with yours? If so, what was it? Thanks!

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
you guys need to compression test your motors, then leakdown test them too, since the belts went bad, you most likely have more bent valves...also, these motors were notorious for having bad keyways on the timing belt crank pulley...my old motor had that problem, i tried to bandaid it, worked for about 10,000 miles till it gave up...if your comp tests show good, take the belt cover back off and rotate the motor with a wrench and watch the timing belt crank pulley to see if it has slack.....another thing, if the mechanic didnt replace the belt tensioner you need to raise hell with them cause that should be done ANYTIME a timing belt is done...

this is what my keyways looked like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts