Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the passenger side half shaft. I have removed the old one but I can not get the new one to go in all the way. Is there a trick to lining up the splines on the drive shaft? ? J

·
Registered
485 Posts
Really shouldnt be. Try to just line them up bye eyeballing it. Other then that did you lube the splines? helps a little. Also try to use a little um power. Hammer and a decent piece of wood has been know to help. Just make sure and put the wood between the hammer and the shaft. At least this is how I have done any with issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved I hope. Looks like the parts supplier gave me the wrong half shaft. (I got shafted) It appears the axle shaft is about 3/8 inches to long! Will be back at the parts store this morning. / J

·
Block Rockin Beats
117 Posts
If that's not what's going on, you literally have to grab the shaft by the end, pull it as if it's dislocating, and then JAM it in HARD. I literally pulled on and slammed mine back over my head against the tranny before it went in. Had about 1/8 inch of gold showing between trans/shaft, runs fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to parts house today and they don't have anything in stock. I had to put the original back in. Took less then an hour. It looks like this car (not mine) uses a half shaft for a vehicle with ABS. This car does not have ABS. We saw that from pictures on the web from parts houses. It has the pick up at the wheel and a cover for the seal at the trans axle. Now need to locate transaxel fill hole to replace fluid that leaked out when we pulled the shaft. / J

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ouch that sucks. Im no help there man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts