Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first of all let me say I'm new to the site.

I recently purchased from my mechanic a 1993 HB Ext. Cab 4X4, he swaped the motor about 40 000 miles ago, and the body has about 200 on it, so far I love the truck and it has not gave me any major problems.
I needed something reliable and good on gas to go back and forth to work, since I work offshore and sometimes I have to drive up to 500 miles one way to go to work, the only problem I have got so far with the truck is that around 1500 rpms it tends to give me a small seccion where it kinna throws my rpms down.

Let me try to explain myself better, if i hold the gas pedal at 1500 rpms my tach needle goes back and forth from 1500 to about 1200, and you can definetly tell when you are pulling away on first gear once you reach that 1500 rpm mark, the truck tends to do a little jump. But once you pass 2000 rpms you dont get any more problems, it only happens around 1500.

We had originally thought it was maybe the MAFS, but it will do it all the time not only at 1500 at least thats what my mechanic thinks.

So does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong or maybe had this problem before???????

and if so what parts would have to be replaced and about how much would it cost.

Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok the check engine light is not coming on, and how do I check about TPS how many amps ahould I be reading and where do I check.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The TPS is bolted to the front of the throttle body. You can unplug it and measure the resistance between the 2nd and 3rd pins. It should be about 500 ohms at idle and about 4,000 ohms with the gas pedal to the floor. In between should be a linear value between there. If you find that it's a problem, let me know...I have one to sell if you're interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool deal im offshore right now at work and i should be back at home around friday so i will let you know if its that so we can do the deal on the TPS, so im suposed to check it while the truck is on??

how do i check between the number 2 and 3 prompt if its pluged in?

im trying to make picture in my mind since i cant look at the truck until i come back, thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Unplug the sensor from the wire harness. There's just a simple plug there. The truck should not be running nor should the ignition be on...You're measuring resistance not voltage so you don't need power at all. Just put the ohm meter between the pins and have someone else step on the gas and see what values you get at the two extreme and right around where the pedal would normally give you 1500rpm (the problem spot you're complaining about.)

·
Registered
206 Posts
It also wouldn't hurt to clean your mass airflow sensor while you're under the hood. Do a search of the forums. I recently wrote a post on how to find and clean the sensor...It solved a lot of my performance problems and it doesn't cost anything (as long as you don't damamge it!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts