Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Nissan's. I found a 1992 SE-R, with about 90,000 miles and a sunroof. Other than that, the only info I know is that the stereo is missing, due to being stolen. I am going to look at this car tomorrow. Is there anything I should keep my eye out for? Thanks in advance. Adam

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Look for door sag, trunk leaks (comes in around the taillights, so look for any added sealants, and check the spare tire well as well as the carboard sheet over it for water stains) Check the outer CV boots (just turn the wheel full each direction and get out and look). Make sure the A/C works if it has it, make sure the fan works on all speeds as well. Listen for any exhaust leaks and for noisy lifters. Check the engine all over for any signs of leaks. If possible have someone power brake it while you look to see if the engine moves excessively in the bay, mounts might be bad. Drive it on the highway for awhile to see if it pops out of 5th gear. Check all lights operation. Check to make sure the seatbelts retract all the way. Put all this shit and anything else you or anyone else can think of, on a list, because you'll forget shit when you're there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah

5th gear pop out on the tranny!se-r's well some suffer for that
the gear when on 5th tends to pop back out.I have'nt had one yet and no one really knows what cause's it. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically look for the basics when looking at a used car. I really like these cars, and I hope it is in good shape. I guess I will see tomorrow.

·
Pastor of Muppets
153 Posts
5th gear popout occurs due to wear on the synchros.

If you only get a chance to drive it for a minute on the highway, do a test. Pull on the shifter in 4th and 5th gear. If it comes out of 5th easier than it does out of 4th, then 5th gear is going.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I went and looked at the car this evening. Other than the fact that the passenger door lock was popped out and the dash plate where the stereo was basically ripped out. The car seemed very clean. Its from Alabama, which is a bonus to me here in Pennsylvania. It needs a bath and detailed. One thing I did notice right away, was the paint "falling" off the back bumper. The guy told me straight out, that he is the second owner and that it was rear ended under the previous owners time with the car. The bumper was repainted and basically the paint didn't stick for 8 years. Another thing I noticed was that the doors didn't seem to close all the way. :( I asked him why, and he said its been like that since he bought it. It doesn't leak water, and air noise is at a minimum. Could this car have been hit that hard that the doors won't shut properly, or is it just a matter not being lined up properly? These unibody cars aren't they? and when I say unibody, its not like you can take the body off of the frame, right? But he has owned this car for 8 years, and knowing how anal I can be, I don't think any normal human would keep a car for 8 years that leaked water or air when driving. Last thing, ITS STOCK!!!!!!!

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Don't worry too much about the doors shutting thing, you should be able to adjust that. If they don't sag then you're alright. If you're worried about that rearend that it had, look the underside over really good as well as the trunk with the carpet out to see if there are any stress fractures or signs of significant work having been done to fix it. Yes, it's a unibody. Does he have the lock for the passenger's door to be put back in, or was it lost during the break in? It won't be cheap to get things keyed right, so keep that in mind. How garfed up was the sheetmetal around the keyhole? When you say dashplate, do you mean just the whole bezel surrounding the entire dash center console? You should be able to pick one of those up cheap, as well as the stereo brackets. Figure it'd cost about $300 to reshoot the bumper or to shoot a replacement bumper which costs $150 for and OEM one. It's got some low ass miles man. If the car is in otherwise good shape, I'd say buy it. Use the bumper and keyhole issues as leverage, because those aren't cheap fixes. Assuming the suspension still feels tight and handles well, engine is quiet and runs smooth, CV's and clutch are good, besides the keyhole and bumper, the paint and body are rather nice, figuring in the radio issues, I don't know what he's asking, but I'd say the most I'd value it would be $2K. Book value is around $2400 for private party assuming it has working A/C and is rated in Average condition. (based on the bumper, keyhole, door closure, and radio issues). Then I figured another $400 off because that doesn't cover the reduction for having been involved in an accident, nor the cost of getting the ignition and door locks complete. You're in the better position I'd say, and unless he's got outstanding offers and whatnot, I'd hggle him on it. I'd offer like $1600 cash and work from there, knowing that you walk after $2K. Nobody wants the theft repair issues with the keyhole and the bumper paint is his other major downfall. Regardless what the potential buyers know about cars, the keyhole and bumper are what they're going to notice most and then the radio issues. He would have been a smart person to figure something out with the keyhole, stick a radio in with a new bezel, and cut his losses substantially, by up to $400 IMO. Well, those are my thoughts, for whatever they're worth. Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points thanks. I looked up the KBB price too, and saw that. The asking price is Under $2000 to begin with. I asked him if it was firm, and he told me he just put it in the paper on sunday. Maybe if he had been sitting on it for a long time, but being its just fresh in the paper. I can understand that. I am going to make it a point to go look at it again with my dad, so I can have a second opinion on it. I want to buy it, I probably will.

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
I wanted an SE-R so bad I drove 5 hours to get one...and it hasn't disappointed. It has been fun to work on and has responded well to mods...it's 11 years old so it needed some cosmetic stuff(paint, same door problem you described, etc.) but I love it. They are a blast to drive and very cool sleepers, and for that price, go get it!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hey Where do you live in Pittsburgh? I live Greensburg and used to live in Monroeville. I have a 92 classic also. Check for rust along the kick panels. I pampered mine for 10 years, but it rots from the inside out. Look around the corners of the wheel well. Also, my doors sag a little, it gets real bad if you jack the one side up tpp long. I believe this to be from the uni-body. I twisted the frame and my A-pillars have creases in them from cornering hard at the Vintage Grand Prix Shenley course. I have the car at nelsons ledges and Mid-Ohio at times and I think I twisted the frame over the years, so my doors don't close well either. My rear pillars have creases in them too from stress. The underbody has stress in the unibody frame runners too. Look for that also.
Chris 92 classic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts