Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 1990 Sentra with 1.6 engine and 4 speed manual transmission, 106,000 miles and did the below maintenance and was wondering if there is anything else I need to do to ensure car is in good running condition and to avoid potential break downs. Also is this engine prone to blown head gaskets and if so anything preventative I can do?

* Oil change and lube.
* Had tune up done, new plugs,wires and rotor.
* Had radiator flushed and new thermostat put in.
* Belts and hoses look fine.

Car was sitting for a while but runs good and body is in fairly good condition.

Appreciate all comments.

Jasper

·
Registered
293 Posts
Worst problem with them IMO is alignments and on the 1.6 liters the timing tensioner. I have two of them and a front-end alignment just didn't seem to last very long before tires would start to wear again. As for the tensioner, basically it's a plastic piece that keeps the timing chain tight, on both of mine the tensioner got brittle (it's made of plastic) and disintegratred, one I caught early, the other snapped and ruined the engine.

I've never had problems with the head gaskets leaking on them.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would replace all the vacuum lines whether they look bad or not, it's easy just do one at a time, did you also change the distributor cap? i would highly recommend factory spark plug wires, I had a problem with my 90 sentra stumbling from a stop, replaced the new aftermarket wires with OEM ones and stumble was gone. Fuel filter ( on firewall left and down from master cylinder), plugs always use NGK no exceptions!!! Even though you replaced it already I would use either nissan oil filters or purolator pure one both work very well for me I also use mobil 1 synthetic, my car is just coming up on 200K miles with no major engine work ever needed. air filter, I would recommend replacing the gear oil in the tranny with synthetic, trans will shift smoother especially if you live in a cold climate and you may even get slightly better mileage, I'm using amsoil in my tranny. replace pcv valve and small filter on inside of air filter housing, common problem with the GA16i is an oil leak on the bottom of the distributor, the oil leaks thru the center shaft that mates with the camshaft, this seal is not replaceable seperately, I bought a complete new surplus distributor from OEM Surplus Parts At Giveaway Prices! for $53 delivered brand new in the nissan box. that's about all I can think of right now. any other questions just ask me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts