Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sentra I purchased has a wobble when I am going over 50 MPH. I had new tires put on and had front and rear end aligned and mechanic said everything looks good. What could be causing this? Is it possible a bent rim?

Jasper

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More like swaying than wobble

Car seems like it is swaying like if you are driving and have strong cross wind. Wonder if control arm or bushings are bad?

Feedback welcomed.
Jasper

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
hmm. i don't know how it goes down where you are, but if he balanced your tires and did an alignment, then told you everything is fine, and it's not, he is liable. up here in Canada, if i as a mechanic do any suspension work, and the suspension fails, i'm liable. as in i could be charged with involuntary manslaughter and go to jail if you crashed and died. now that doesn't mean bust the law on him and sue, but it means that you should be able to take it to him and say, "you put on these new tires, balanced them, and did an alignment, handed me back the keys and said everything looks good, but the car wobbles over 50MPH. you missed something." dont be an ass about it, but be firm.

in reality, you shouldn't have to pay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After driving the car a bit more, I am beginning to think there is nothing wrong with the alignment. The section of road where I feel the swaying is where grooves were put in road. I am thinking the grooves and 13 inch tires might be the cause.

Mechanic is going on test drive with me and I will get his opinion.

Jasper

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
After driving the car a bit more, I am beginning to think there is nothing wrong with the alignment. The section of road where I feel the swaying is where grooves were put in road. I am thinking the grooves and 13 inch tires might be the cause.

Mechanic is going on test drive with me and I will get his opinion.

Jasper
sounds good. that's a really good start. and a shitty road is totally a possibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its the whole car wobbling or it the wobbling in the steering wheel? If it is in the steering wheel your 2 front tires maybe out of balance or counter balance. Counter Balance means that your wheel has 1 unecessary weight on wheel. I have to show you what I'm talking about in order you to understand. Or can you have shifted belt. Shifted Belt can cause wobble;this means that one of your tires may have a broken belt or tire may have high and low spots in the tread side of tire. A bent rim can cause wobble too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should not have put wobble as it is more of a swaying as if strong cross wind was blowing car. The strange thing is car drives straight as can be until I hit certain section of road that has grooves and also probably has low spots from semi's driving.

Jasper

·
Registered
34 Posts
check ur engine mounts aswell... This might not be the issue but it doesnt hurt to see, sometimes worn down engine mounts will throw off your car, spec at higher rates of speed... also ball joints aswell... Id take it to another shop and get a 2nd opinion, make sure you take it to a name brand shop for the 2nd opinion, normaly they don't charge you just to check it out for you...

-Fix

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two mechanics took car for a drive on stretch of road with grooves in it and came to the conclusion there is nothing wrong with the car, just car is following grooves.

I took car for 2 hour highway drive Saturday and straight as an arrow all the way at 65 -70 MPH. I know it is odd but perhaps with small tires, tire pattern and the road itself must be the problem. Very small stretch that I don't take toO often anyway.

Thanks for all replies.

Jasper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts