Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the truck I had an issue with truck not even engaging starter. Had starter and battery tested and both were OK. Turned out to be the fusible links and connections at the battery terminal, so replaced those with factory parts. Truck had been working fine since then ( 3 months ago) but now it is doing the same thing again. Truck will engage electric fuel pump ( I can hear it) and can hear the fuse box "click" but starter wont engage. Weird thing is if you let it sit a while sometimes it will go ahead and start right up. so problem is intermittent. Already pulled and re-tightened battery terminals but that had no affect. Any ideas? Only thing i can think of os possibly the switch at the clutch ( when you push in the clutch to start) Like I said it works sometimes though which is strange....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter relay

Sorry to be a spaz, but what / where is the starter relay and how do I check it?

·
Hardbody Freak
2,673 Posts
the starter relay is between the main realy on the passenger fender well and the battery

it is blue and is usaully coupled with another blue realy ..
it should be the one closet to the fire wall..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 95. It turned out that the ignition switch was the problem.

Take the covers off of your steering column and look on the left side of the ignition switch. There's an electrical switch there. It's round and held in place by one screw.
Take it off.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the Run position. Stick a screwdriver in the switch you removed and turn it clockwise. The engine should start.

If it does, you need to look into tightening down and/or shimming that round switch. Why Nissan chose to hold it in place with a single screw, I do not know.

Fred

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out it was the switch down at the clutch pedal. Someone before me had taped a piece of plastic on the clutch lever to aid it in connecting with the switch when depressing the clutch to start it. I imagine it used to have a rubber grommet there, so I found one in my junk box and supeglued it to the tab on the pedal. Starts fine now!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My starter problem sounded just like yours.... after replacing the starter 5x, it turned out to be the little Y cable off of the starter.... cost my a whopping $15 for a new one

·
Registered
85 Posts
Turns out it was the switch down at the clutch pedal. Someone before me had taped a piece of plastic on the clutch lever to aid it in connecting with the switch when depressing the clutch to start it. I imagine it used to have a rubber grommet there, so I found one in my junk box and supeglued it to the tab on the pedal. Starts fine now!!!
is there any way to totally bypass this? by connecting the wires all the time??

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd bypass it with a switch on the dash.

Toyota did that on their 80's trucks and 4-runners. It was a button marked "Clutch Start Cancel" The idea was that if you'd broken down on the train tracks or in traffic, you could put it in first, hit this button and crank the starter to drive the vehicle a short distance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i work at toyota and totally didnt think about that. i h=guess the nissan is getting a toyota switch!:woowoo:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts