Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from giving the car a high pressure wash, I saw two yellow lights switching in and out of traffic extremely fast. To my surprise it was a vette and I had been wanting to try one of those cars for a while, but could never find a willing candidate. No one in front of us on the 826 going west, I'm purging at 100mph in 4th gear waiting, waiting, to see if he really wants to have a little fun. He comes beside and were off, I took 4th gear to 7200rpm and went to 5th gear, corvettes already in my rearview (about 3 car lengths). While in 5th, I just feather the pedal to see if he'll close the gap, he did not. I slowed down and he went past me, gave me some horn, some thumbs and hazard lights and kept going. Much respect to the corvette because it's N/A and it don't play. I'd rather have a vette than a supra or RX-7 anyday.......

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know of one viper around here and it's a trailer queen with twin turbos. I ain't skeered of him nor his viper. That's plenty of B12 with CA18DET'd with what he paid for that set up.....

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still haven't gone to the dyno to give you guys exact #'s, but the big dogs in the hood estimated it at about 300ish hp at 15psi of boost. Will crank it up to 22 this weekend seeing that it might be all the headgasket can take and if it survives the track, we'll take it to the dyno. 3 pulls for $35.00 isn't bad, so I think it's worth the wait.

A

·
0 Posts
Do you run the 1/4? What do you think your time would be, or what is it?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My test car (which is my girlfriend's B12) ran a best [email protected] spinning the tires in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears with no L.S.D. and a crappy t25 turbo that was failing. Not making any excuses, that turbo went through alot and served me well.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm going to run it this weekend on Drag Radials, Phantom grip L.S.D., a bigger turbo, much better tuning on the ECU, bigger and better exhaust and coilovers. Hopefully dip into the 12's;) maybe more as the engine is more than willing to assist in this quest.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the blessings, man:) You drive a camaro located in Germany tells me you're in the Army, Correct? And if so, what are the vehicles like over there meaning everyday driving and driving attitudes for people over there? You did plenty of work on your ride, I see. I have nothing but crazy respect for American Car enthusiasts because that where you get the best bang for the buck........And as you can see, I do own a ford and love the hell out of it:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
boost boy... someone on the b15sentra board recommended the ca18det swap when i mentioned i was thinking about the sr20det. is there any sites w/ good knowledge on these motors, b/c ive never heard of them before. im lookin for stuff like power curves, numbers, what cars they came in, where i could get one and how much...... i know that w/ a motor swap its definately more than just the motor and tranny, but im not sure if i wanna put a blower on my GA either....

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[email protected] if you can log into that group, they have a vast knowledge of the CA18DET and the SR20DET. The CA18DET was found in a nissan gazelle (U.S. 84-88 200sx), nissan 180sx, nissan sylvia, nissan bluebird and a few other nissan cars. It's 1.8 litre engine that can hold it's own, just not as popular withh the younger generation as the SR20DET. Most people like yourself know little or nothing about it. It has a pretty indestructible tranny as the engine is pretty tough itself being made of cast iron (block) and aluminum head. www.exaclub.net have some good links on this motor and have a few individuals there that has done the swap. Search the net under CA18DET and you will find some good literature mainly of Australian nissan enthusiasts. Anything you need to know about the motor and it's performance and limits, I'll be happy to tell you (from my experiences).

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey boostboy, before you break into the 12's, remember that at moroso,if you run 12's you must have a helmet and i think you need a 5-point harness belt. good luck tho !!! r u going 2 tower shops friday? if so look for me there. heres the link to my webpage so you'll know what i'm driving.
http://home.attbi.com/~doug123/index.html
L8R
:cool:

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll probably roll up there if I can't find something constructive to get into. I've never brought my cars up there so I just may make it a first. I'll look for you "Playa".....And as far as Moroso, my car will cut into the 12's, but I'll tell them it do 14's so I can bust a 12 second run and get kicked off the track.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Look, I bet you light up mustangs from here to Bangladesh. I bet your car is super fast and I'd love to get a ride one day. I loved watching you eat that S2000, but...

We own a 2002 C5 and I just don't think the guy was racing you. Do you realize what you are saying? C'mon bro. Without solid proof like you going toe to toe with a vette from a dead stop and two coherent drivers, I don't think you should even go there. Not to mention if you DID line up with one at a stop, he's going to eat you up so bad that you won't be able to recover like you did on that S2000. [email protected]#k the viper, I hope you eat one up but I just don't see it happening. Do you have LSD? I don't know very many cars that are going to eat a vette off the line. Period. I mean the vette is practically a ferrari when you compare the #'s and It blows my mind to hear you say this. I mean it was probably some old [email protected]#k in a automatic who wasn't half expecting your car to be as sick as it was and by the time he realized that he actually had some competition you were out. Let's not even talk about track prowess (as far as handling turns on a track). I mean absolutely no disrespect your car is amazing. I am only looking to chop this up with you for fun.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I mean absolutely no disrespect your car is amazing.
You sound pretty sincere, but curious so I'll roll with this for a while. Thanks for the ups on the lil' sentra, but I just told it like it was. I wasn't driving his car for him, but I can sense he got the message that this was no run of the mill, P>O<S sentra. He engaged, I stayed in front and the closer he got, the harder I pushed. I'm taking no respect from the Vette as I've already rendered my feelings towards it, but if I run, I run until it was over and by no means am I intimidated by a car because of the sheer power it posesses. I've stopped some big name cars on the highway, but I will never race a RWD from a dead stop that's less than a car length away "Never".
Do you have LSD?
When I raced the Honda, no I didn't. Now I have a phantom grip block in my diff and it helps a bit.
Do you realize what you are saying?
By all means "blueboost" i am very well of what I'm saying. I'm not trying to fit in by telling bogus race stories to you guys/girls, but sometimes what I know as the truth others may not accept because they don't know. And the guy in the vette wasn't that old late 30's early 40's, but he looked like a riceboy swinging that car through traffic just to get beside me. My car may not cost as much as a vette, but it sure as hell ain't gonna make me look as bad as cost comparison (There is non). A vette is a vette and the little silver sentra you guys keep seeing gets to go the dyno tomorrow, to the paint shop next week and back to my girlfriend so she can't stop driving my SHO. You've guys/girls have seen the test car, now standby for the red one. Much better everything. All the way down to slotted and drilled front and back rotors, this car will be decked-out and so will it's engine and tranny. If I promise a show, I'm well known for delivering and a show I am promising. It's my finally and I'm going to enjoy it, win or lose. And Blue, if a vette ever beats me, it won't be by much and I would have up held the expectation of a nissan 4 cylinder owner (make 'em sweat) cause I ain't going out like a sucka'........;)

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
damn boost. I never doubted you, I guess I just didn't see how you would beat that vette but I was thinking from a stop. I can see you pulling on those kinds of cars on the highway with a race engine like the one you've got if your already in motion. I mean, you'd need slicks and shit if you were going to do it from a stand still but on the fly, once you hit that sweet spot (or get a bit of RPM's going) it must be rediculous. Is it like a surge of force around a certain RPM or do you have mad linear power. One more time- mad props to one of the few who actually "bring it". Anyone can buy a vette with 50G's. Not anyone can build a Sentra that will push your wig back. I wish I could.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
blueboosts the name, cool is my game
(thats why I'm sittin at home on the computer on a saturday night LOL)

yah, I'm just saving my $$$ for HIN next weekend.

*blueboost sits patiently with Michelob ultra in hand*

1 - 20 of 183 Posts