Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 1990 TT that recently had a motor swapped. A handful of stuff isn't working right. It is smoking grey, the oil pressure reads a little over zero, when the engine is turned off when it is warm you can hear what sound like water boiling in the turbos, it reads no boost, today both of the turbos sprayed oil up through all of the piping on the compressor side. My only guess is that something wasn't installed correctly when the engine was installed. Any ideas?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The motor supposidly has 40k mi on it, compression is good on 5 cyclinders and a little out of spec on one of them, I have no idea what all maintaince had been done on the motor. I know that the radiator is good. I am also sure that the smoke is oil because if I take off the intake plumbing I can see oil in it. Another wierd thing about the oil in the intake is that it's black and doesn't seem to be getting hot, while the oil in the engine is fairly new and light brown. The problem is identical on both sides of the engine. I am kinda of leaning to their may be a bunch of oil sitting in the bottom of the intercoolers, but this wouldn't explain the low oil pressure. It would seem weird to me for both turbos to fail the same way and still have no problem building boost.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all, the oil pump being cooked turned out to be one of the main problems. I decided to go ahead and instead of fixing this engine, pulling it and replacing another engine that I have after I rebuild it. Anyone want to buy a engine that needs some work? Ryancft, I bet you're right about the oil coming from the valve covers. I found a few lines that seemed to be in the wrong place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.