Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can get a 1990 d21 auto cheap and have a rusted 1989 d21 auto with under 85,000 original miles that runs well. can i use the engine and transmission if i buy the 1990 truck? thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the 89 still use the Z24i engine (8 spark plugs), or does it have the newer KA24e?

I know the swap will work if they have the same engine. If the older one has the Z24i and the newer one has the KA24e, the transmission MIGHT be the same, but I'm not certain.
it has the 8 sparkplugs...if i switched both the transmission and engine, would that work? also i'm waiting for a response as to whether the 1990 is a 4 or 6 cylinder, but if i switch both, does it matter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has the 8 sparkplugs...if i switched both the transmission and engine, would that work? also i'm waiting for a response as to whether the 1990 is a 4 or 6 cylinder, but if i switch both, does it matter?
i was planning on switching both as a unit. i want to know if the mountings and drive linkage would connect up okay to the 1990. both are automatics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They both use the same transmission as long as they are for 4-cylinders. The V6 trans won't work on the I-4 and vice versa.
but if the 1990 was a 6 cylinder, would the 89 4cylinder and it's engine, as a unit, BOTH together work with the 6 cylinder motor mounts/driveshaft and rear axle? i haven't studied the linkages or motor mounts, but i would think they should reasonably be the same for both 4 and 6 as a manufacturing cost saver, but i don't know... anyone have experience selling engines or transmissions here on this site if i can't find an 89 solid body with blown engine/transmission to use (no easy task in northern climes like here in cincinnati ohio)? any ideas on how much to ask for running engine/working auto trans?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Motor mounts are different. Transmission is different. Drive shaft is different. Throttle linkage and fuel lines are different. Electrical wiring harness is different. AC compressor, power steering, and all of those brackets are different.

Converting from 4 to 6 cylinder Nissan engines is about the same complexity as doing a V8 swap.

If you have 2 complete Hardbody trucks, one with the 4 and one with the 6, the swap is a lot easier because you won't have to chase down all the parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.