Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a few questions about my 1988 Nissan Sentra. I was curious if some didnt have an egr valve as I can’t find it on my car. Also, did some not have a check engine light At all? Thanks

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,368 Posts
Hi, I have a few questions about my 1988 Nissan Sentra. I was curious if some didnt have an egr valve as I can’t find it on my car. Also, did some not have a check engine light At all? Thanks
The USA Clean Air Act requirements for 1981 pretty much mandated the requirements of onboard ECUs with provisions of user alert lights, hence the "check engine" light and other emission related components. So to answer your question, yes they did have an EGR and "check engine" light if they were sold new in the USA. If the car was a used car from another country, some may not have had the said items; the USA has some very strict import requirements which I won't get into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I’ve seen under the hood pictures and some have what looks like an egr mounted on the top of the air cleaner assembly with a tube going down to the engine. And some pictures are like mine and don’t have this. It’s a US car from South Carolina, I believe.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,368 Posts
I’ve seen under the hood pictures and some have what looks like an egr mounted on the top of the air cleaner assembly with a tube going down to the engine. And some pictures are like mine and don’t have this. It’s a US car from South Carolina, I believe.
Your car could have possibly been imported by the previous owner. It's best to do a VIN check of your car.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,036 Posts
The piece on the air cleaner is part of the secondary air system and is called the IAV. Inside the "box" on the side of the air cleaner, is a reed valve block; when the reed valve fails, the hoses tend to melt on the pipes. The EGR valve would be on the driver's side of the intake manifold:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts