Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 86 uses a resistive changing type O2 sensor. This is the same one used in the 87-88 200sxse V6 cars.

You can adapt this O2 sensor to work with 87-89 300zx ecus (they are better). The trick is to change it to a voltage producing O2 sensor by using the O2 sensor heater wiring.

You can sell your old 86 300zx ecu to 200sxse guys since its a swap in and an improvement over the stock ecu they use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Crowbar60 said:
The 86 uses a resistive changing type O2 sensor. This is the same one used in the 87-88 200sxse V6 cars.

You can adapt this O2 sensor to work with 87-89 300zx ecus (they are better). The trick is to change it to a voltage producing O2 sensor by using the O2 sensor heater wiring.

You can sell your old 86 300zx ecu to 200sxse guys since its a swap in and an improvement over the stock ecu they use.
what are you talking about?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different year 300zx in the 80s used different O2 sensor technology and different ecu programs and chips. The 87-89 300zx ecus are the best ecus if you can get them.

The 86 is the oddball year in that it uses a much different O2 sensor than 84-85s (the 'old' type) and the 87-89 (the best kinds).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
I think he is suggesting using the 86Z model O2 sensor with the 87-89 ECU. And should expect "gains" I guess.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
87-89 was when OBD-1 first became somewhat of a reality, really in '89.... Personally, my o2 works just fine and I have no plans to change it any time soon. When I do, it'll be for a wideband unit and the appropriate ECU and wiring upgrades.... None of this bollixing an 85 o2 sensor to an 89 ECU or whatever he's talking about. That sort of upgrade is pointless. If your o2 readings are that important then you won't be using the stock one anyway.... ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 84-86 ecus use the primitive 2 mode on-board diagnostics. The 87-89 use the more advanced 5 mode diagnostics.

But the main point is that many people do not know that the O2s are year sensitive and just swapping ecus around will not solve any problems but create others.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suggest to anyone with a 84-85 ECU that they upgrade to a 87-89 and change the O2 sensor to a 87-89. Total for this upgrade would be a junkyard ecu (18-25 bucks) and the cost of a new O2 sensor (20-30?).

Again, the 86 uses a very different O2 sensor (its physically different than any other year 84-85 or 87-89).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Crowbar60 said:
I would suggest to anyone with a 84-85 ECU that they upgrade to a 87-89 and change the O2 sensor to a 87-89. Total for this upgrade would be a junkyard ecu (18-25 bucks) and the cost of a new O2 sensor (20-30?).

Again, the 86 uses a very different O2 sensor (its physically different than any other year 84-85 or 87-89).
What are the benefits of doing all this labor? Does the car run any better? Does it pass emissions better? Or are we updating simply for the sake of updating......... :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Please post your on topic replys here. Thanks. :) If you had an answer to the question, post it here.
 

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Crowbar60 said:
I would suggest to anyone with a 84-85 ECU that they upgrade to a 87-89 and change the O2 sensor to a 87-89. Total for this upgrade would be a junkyard ecu (18-25 bucks) and the cost of a new O2 sensor (20-30?).

Again, the 86 uses a very different O2 sensor (its physically different than any other year 84-85 or 87-89).
i'm taking an emissions class, and was wondering, how is the O2 sensor different?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I explained it in another post but it was deleted. email me and then we wont have to worry about info disappearing. I have some links to some really good info.

Too bad this cant be discussed in an open forum.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Crowbar60 said:
I explained it in another post but it was deleted. email me and then we wont have to worry about info disappearing. I have some links to some really good info.

Too bad this cant be discussed in an open forum.
You explained it in another thread, please post that explanation here.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Crowbar60 said:
I explained it in another post but it was deleted. email me and then we wont have to worry about info disappearing. I have some links to some really good info.

Too bad this cant be discussed in an open forum.
This is on topic in this thread, and as such is allowable.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top