Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would like to say hi and to thank everyone in advance for all the help I know I am going to get. I own a 1985 king cab pick up with a z 24 engine and it was an automatic but I decide to make it a manual tranny and have a few questions. I purchased a used 5-speed manual from a 720 at a junkyard and also purchased all the necessary trimmings like pump pedals and so on. This tranny came of a 4-wheel drive and does not have a port for the speedometer. Does it have it on the transfercase in the 4 wheel drive models? another thing is that it is 2 inches shorter than the automatic but I know thats not going to be to much of a problem to solve. If anyone has any solutions to the speedometer problem please help. thanks cocora64

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. I broke down and bought a haynes repair manual but there are many things i dont know about this truck I inherited. The tranny I puchased is a 5 speed but I cannot find any markings to tell me if it is a fs5w71b or an fs4w71c or even an fs5r30a since the owner at the junkyard cannot tell me the exact year of the truck he pulled it out from. How can I tell which one it is so I can try and find a 2wd tranny somewhere that has the rear part of it with the opening for the speedometer. Another thing is that this tranny's casing already has the port for the speedo but it is sealed, would it be possible to drill the casing at a machine shop? thanks again. cocora

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
thanks for the quick reply. I broke down and bought a haynes repair manual but there are many things i dont know about this truck I inherited. The tranny I puchased is a 5 speed but I cannot find any markings to tell me if it is a fs5w71b or an fs4w71c or even an fs5r30a since the owner at the junkyard cannot tell me the exact year of the truck he pulled it out from. How can I tell which one it is so I can try and find a 2wd tranny somewhere that has the rear part of it with the opening for the speedometer. Another thing is that this tranny's casing already has the port for the speedo but it is sealed, would it be possible to drill the casing at a machine shop? thanks again. cocora
The fs5w is a 5spd, the fs4w is a 4spd for the 720's
The fs5r is for a 86-7 V6 HB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts