Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here (obviously lol), and I got a guy who's sellin a 1984 300zx vg30et 5 spd. The body ain't bad, everything looks decent, good actually for an 84. But the prob is the timing marks on the cams are 90 degrees apart :p So it might have a slight valve/ pistion beating issue lol.

But, seeing as they never reset the timing on it to see if everything was damaged, he's selling it for $300. Cuz he's lazy.

And lookin' at the motor, it don't look bad to pull the heads off. Fairly decent actually. That's not the problem.

And I want to do this project, cause it's a 3 litre v6 turbo 5 spd, with no factory intercooler, 2'' exhaust, and 7.8:1 compression (if I remember correctly). But these motors seem to have a lot of advancement for power. Like, just a new front mount intercooler would help decently, along with half inch, or inch bigger exhaust.

My problem is, I"m a 19 year old kid, and I've owned 3 hondas. a Civic, 91 prelude, and a 94 prelude (which I still drive the 94). I've rebuilt the motors in the preludes with no problems, they're still driving like they should. So there's no doubt in my mind I can do this project with no problem.

But seeing as I had never owned something with more than 140 hp, and 120 ft-lbs of torque, this would be quite a big, awesome project car :p

Just let me know what you guys think, if it's worth it, if it'll be just a big problem car. or if it'll be a great idea for 300 bucks and some work on it.

:) Thanks for readin' my long-boring story lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
No such thing as a slight valve beating issue. does it run? how much are they asking? Totally different car from a Honda. These engines can go 300K easily if you take care of them. The internals can handle 400HP. An intercooler, better breathing intake, boost controller and a 3 inch exhaust and you can improve HP considerably. One thing to remember the 84 had an oil and air cooled turbo and the later years had a oil and water cooled turbo. The 84 was more prone to fail as people would not let it cool down after hard use. Can you get it cheap and if the frame and body are solid and the price is right go for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts