Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to buy a 1979 280zx with 60k on it. The owner said that the needle on the speed-o is broke off. Need your thoughts on this I have never seen this on a z before. He claims it needs a cable too. All vin number look up companies say odom. is exempt and has no entries.

1. Could he somehow got it over 160mph unlikely.
2. Could he unscrewed it from the transmission and tried to turn it backwards braking it on stop pin at 0mph trying to lower the miles on it? (Is this even possible to do this on these cars?)

I might buy this car Thursday maybe. Any good vin look up companies out there that would show pervious owners and mileage? I will be doing a compression check for sure.

Any thoughts lets hear them

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
There's really no telling whether he did anything or not. You could try CARFAX and see if there's a history on the vehicle that would confirm the mileage is accurate. Considering the vehicle is almost 40 years old, it's entirely possible that the needle did break off. I remember a common problem with the Datsuns is that the speedometer needle would warp or bend due to heat over time. It's possible you could repair the speedometer if you have the original needle. Speedometer cables are available on the aftermarket and are inexpensive. Used clusters are available on Ebay, although the mileage would be different than what you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts