Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just outta no where the otherday, i started the 15 altima later that day my wife turned it off and it wouldnt start back, all it was dojng was making one single loud click sound, coming from around engine fuse box area, and i could put my hand on starter and get her to push the start, and i could feel it hitting the flywheel just one time, so i took the started off and hook cables to it and it push out and turned like it supposed too. so i put it back on cables are connected good. then it blew the fuse (JCASE Cartridge fuse) box in engine bay, the Ignition Relay 2, but at the same time im pretty sure that i might her something like a fuse blowing coming from under dash area by the fuse panel.

Im trying to see what other people think on what it could possible be.

·
Software Developer
769 Posts
Does the flywheel turn? Something could have become lodged in there to prevent the engine from turning. That would make the starter short out whenever you try cranking the engine, and that would blow the fuse.

I had something similar happen with my old Hardbody truck when I changed out the bulbs to LEDs. As soon as I turned the key ON, the Lights fuse would blow. It took me 8 fuses before I remembered that I had swapped to LED lights. The bulb I put in there was wrong. I used a 172 when I should have used a 171 or something like that. Simple fix, but hard to diagnose.

Anyway, I'm guessing your starter fuse blowing is going to be caused by something like that.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,949 Posts
Upon jp2code's mentioning of the flywheel turning; if that's OK, then using a voltmeter, check for 12V on the large terminal that's on the starter solenoid; you should see 12V even with the engine shut off. If you don't, then the 250A fusible link may be blown; if so, then the cable run to the starter has a short to ground.

When attempting to start the engine, you should see 12V on the small terminal on the solenoid. If you don't, then one of the starter relays in the IPDM is bad or else the IPDM itself is shot.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
PS - If it's blowing the main 250A link but the engine spins when turned by hand, you almost certainly have a "dead short" inside the starter, probably a collapsed brush.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS - If it's blowing the main 250A link but the engine spins when turned by hand, you almost certainly have a "dead short" inside the starter, probably a collapsed brush.
the Starter works fine when i take it off and jump it with a battery ?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Does the engine turn by hand? The most common cause of a blown main link is a seized or hydrolocked engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts