Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep this brief - after one trip to the west coast in our Frontier over Christmas 2015 the panel in front of the rear wheel (both sides) looks like it was sandblasted. The clear coat was pretty much stripped off exposing the undercoat. This was not done by rocks (chips are easy to spot) but rather sand spread on the roads in BC following a snow storm.

I visited the local dealer, Oakwood Nissan in Saskatoon, with my concerns. The service manager took pictures and sent them off to Nissan Canada. Today I got my reply back - the cause was road grime and such and therefore is not covered by warranty.

I've driven this route many times under similar conditions with other vehicles - i.e. Volkswagen Jetta (2008) and have never had paint blasted off the fenders. Clearly there is an issue with Nissan paint. It's obvious from the damage that the box on my truck will start to deteriorate over the next few years. I've touched up the rock chips but cannot get to hundreds of little chips caused by the sand.

My next move is to sell the truck (and never buy nor recommend a Nissan).

Kevin
Saskatoon, SK

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,709 Posts
Their response doesn't surprise me. My only suggestion would be to have an undercoating applied to the wheel wells and undercarriage. When I bought my 97 Nissan truck brand new, I got a case of spray cans of hard-setting undercoat from the local auto parts store and applied it myself. You just have to be careful of the overspray and keeping it off the exterior body panels. If you do trade it in, hopefully you'll have better results from your new vehicle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The issue seems to be the clear coat and top coat. I don't think undercoating is the issue. It's too bad though as other than this issue, the truck has been good. It has less than 40K km on the odometer so lots of life left. I can't risk having a rusty box though and will get rid of it real soon. As above, I would not recommend this brand though to anyone owing to their nil response. Once burned, twice shy.

Kevin

·
Registered
370 Posts
Their response doesn't surprise me. My only suggestion would be to have an undercoating applied to the wheel wells and undercarriage. When I bought my 97 Nissan truck brand new, I got a case of spray cans of hard-setting undercoat from the local auto parts store and applied it myself. You just have to be careful of the overspray and keeping it off the exterior body panels. If you do trade it in, hopefully you'll have better results from your new vehicle!
Do what SMJ said to do, and stop Whineing.

Thanks. The issue seems to be the clear coat and top coat. I don't think undercoating is the issue. It's too bad though as other than this issue, the truck has been good. It has less than 40K km on the odometer so lots of life left. I can't risk having a rusty box though and will get rid of it real soon. As above, I would not recommend this brand though to anyone owing to their nil response. Once burned, twice shy.Kevin
If I lived up in the North Country where they use Salt, Sand, and maybe some pebble's mixed in; I would want to have my Brand New Nissan Truck Undercoated before ever leaveing the DealerShip. I'm sure they do that on a Regular Basis up there, & probably at the DealerShip.

So far it's just a Minor Issue, so take care of it now,, before the Rust appear's, and it shouldn't cost that much.

Decideing to Sell Your Relatively New Frontier and then buy another Truck,, seem's Foolish,, Expense Wise. Especially if you like your Truck.

Right now,, it appear's that you got your Ego hurt, when you were Turned down my Nissan. Maybe your Dealer didn't go to bat for you, at any rate, you were turned down for something that should have been taken care of from the GetGo.

If you like your Truck, Which you said that you did, spend a little bit to get the Undercarriage Protected Now, or you can spend a lot to get another Brand New Truck, or Whatever You Want.

Good Luck whichever course you decide to take.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and thanks for your comments. The problem is not undercoating. The problem is the paint on the box. The clear coat came pretty much off on one trip where sand etc. was put on the road to guard against ice and snow.

K

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello and thanks for your comments. The problem is not undercoating. The problem is the paint on the box. The clear coat came pretty much off on one trip where sand etc. was put on the road to guard against ice and snow.

K
Don't get me wrong, I think that you have a legitimate concern.

And; I don't think that the paint on my '13 Frontier, is as thick and durable as the paint was on the '93 Hardbody that I had for 20 year's.

However the cost of having a pro to put on an undercoating on your Truck is Penny Wise and Pound Smart:

Here is a little reading on the cost and why to have it done:

How Much Does Undercoating Cost? | HowMuchIsIt.org

After reading several Search's on the pro's and con's of Undercoating,, I might also consider a clear coat of Rustproofing, probably before the undercoating is applied.

I haven't checked out the cost's of today's undercoating and rustproofing,, but if the above cost estimate is within resonable accuracy,, I think that haveing that done would cost way less than buying a New Truck.

But the real thing is whether you like your Truck or Not. If it is the "Not", then by all mean's go the New Truck Route. However if it is the "Like", then consider it Routine Maintenance and add Value to Your Truck, as well as the other benefit's of adding more SoundProofing.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Point taken. I do like the truck; it's Nissan that I am pissed at. I likely won't buy another (and was considering a Murano).

K

·
Registered
370 Posts
I washed my Frontier yesterday,, and looked at the wheel well's. It appear's that mine has quiet a bit of undercoating in the rear wheel well, and the Front Wheel Well's have a plastic liner. Not every part of the rear wheel well is undercoated, but I didn't see any issue's with mine.

Truck's are Outselling Car's now, and I think there are several reason's for that. Truck's as a rule are more durable, have a better resale value,, Truck's can do everything that a car can do,, and a whole lot more. With the '93 Hardbody that I had,, it seem'd that keeping and driveing it for 20 year's seemed to work out pretty good.

The Truck Market is Red Hot right now,, and their is a huge Demand for well cared for Used Truck's.

If you have a Truck,, I say,, "Keep On Trucking", and for those that don't have a Truck,, Get one and Start Trucking. :) LOL

You can't hardly go wrong, with a Truck,, especially if it is taken good care of; Seat Cover's, Floor Mat's, use a Wax or Sealant to help keep the Paint looking good, and when it come's time to Sell, They'll Pay You Good Money for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts