Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I wanted to help out the Nissan enthusiast community by spreading the word on some Consumer Tips (http://www.geocities.com/apboado) I have put together after a very bad experience I had with a Nissan aftermarket vendor.

I hope all will learn from my mistakes. The web site I refer to is the same one you'll find in my signature.

Lex

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
I would appeal, it sounds like you have a decent case. Did you get representation? You should have a lawyer. You did have a contract, verbal and/or implicit. I don't know Virginia law, but here in California there are also protections extended by state agencies/bureaus.

Good luck.

·
Peek-a-boo....
1,717 Posts
.....why has it been 2 years, and you are just now telling us about this. and why is it still going on. something doesnt seem right here mang.

·
Datsun Guy
1,367 Posts
Well it's sucky that all that happened. It's hard to have a shop do work on a car when you don't know how to do what you paid them to do ( catch 22 )

on one picture I see they used red RTV on an exhaust gasket!

I guess having a modified car that you didn't build is tough.

·
Respek Knuckles
1,172 Posts
so jgy is a bad place to go? that sucks man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timeframe

Slayer2003 said:
.....why has it been 2 years, and you are just now telling us about this. and why is it still going on. something doesnt seem right here mang.
Believe me, these things take FOREVER. Remember, we had 2 court dates, many months apart and the verdict was only handed down a few months ago. I couldnt advertise any of this until AFTER the verdict by the local district court.

What's more, just the credit card dispute process, which I initiated BEFORE filing suit, took MONTHS. Plus, I'm a super busy guy and I had to learn how to make a web page to get this information out. That took forever! Whata PIA!

All these things conspired to delay the creation of this web site.

I couldn't afford a lawyer. In retrospect, I probably should have paid for one regardless. I hope you all will read my page on CONSUMER TIPS (http://www.geocities.com/apboado/Consumertips.html)

But honestly, compared to my buddy Matt, http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com, I'm just plain "lucky"! Check out what they did to his car!

Listen, even if you dont believe a WORD I say about JGY, just please read the Consumer Tips and avoid the mistakes I made. I'm just trying to help fellow enthusiasts out.

Lex

·
What's in your wallet?
2,640 Posts
that just plain sucks. The work done on Matt's car looked horrible.

·
What's in your wallet?
2,640 Posts
and the plot thickens. complaints all around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
2 sides

LIUSPEED said:
there are two sides of the story here.

There always are 2 sides. For sure.

And so I defer to the pictures rather than circular discussions about who said what and who claims what and so on and so forth, where no one knows whom to believe. TOTAL waste of time. Just look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

I just ask that all read my Consumer Tips and save yourself from going through the nightmare I went through. They certainly apply to whichever vendor your choose.

Lex

·
Peek-a-boo....
1,717 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Missing posts

racingfury said:
the pics are telling, i would like to see some of the deleted posts in that thread though...
The missing posts are posts that were removed (5 pages worth) by the SR20 administrator because they were comments by people who hadnt SPECIFICALLY done business with JGY. Thats all. Some were in favor and some were against JGY and some where just random comments with no direction.

Lex

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
ok, I don't have anything against JGY nor do I have anything to say in their defense. I would prolly never find myself there since I have Dre and Jason right around the corner, but if I lived up there, knowing what I know now, I'd still prolly let JGY do an engine swap for me.

For the most part, I don't let anyone touch my car except for very trusted people. Knowing Dre's reputation, he's prolly the only person I would actually let loose on my car w/o any worries. Other than that, the only people who touch my car are people that are doing a specific job, something like an alignment or bearing replacement, something I can't exactly do on my own. Usually, I have to clean up after them, then again, I'm anal about my car (speciffically the engine bay). This describes what JGY does. You paid them for an engine swap and it seems you weren't careful about the entire transaction.

I agree that most of the work is below anyone's standards or expectations, but many things were a lack on your part or something that is out of anyone's control. Some things you have listed do sicken me amd make me wonder about JGY's "quality control", however, some of the sour deals that have been made seem to be you not paying attention to the details.

IMO, your first mistake is paying them over 7-grand for an engine swap. Was this the amount on the initial invoice??? I see that being $1500-2000 for the engine and $1000 (or less) for the work, where'd the other $4,000 come from? When you start out, they should have given you an invoice for you to sign, either you agree or disagree and they cannot charge you a penny more unless you agree and sign any further invoices for other repairs or installs. If your first invoice said $7600, than you might as well be an idiot to think that a GTi-R swap is worth that much. If your initial invoice said $3000, then why the hell did you dish out ANOTHER 4-GRAND before the lawsuit?

I don't know why the swap took 11 months...how about YOU tell US? You didn't seem to be on top of things, I mean was your mind somewhere else for the extra 10 months? After a month's time, I'd be in their office every day, heck, I'd be under the car by then checking on their progress. I mean, when I'm putting $7600 into a single mod, the excitment alone would keep me in the garage.

As for the loss of your header and anything else they took w/o your permission, I'm sure at the beginning you were aware that your car would drive away minus an SR20DE and any mods that were directly bolted to that DE. Didn't you think to ask them about the stuff and work out exactly what will happen to your parts? Maybe have a written agreement about what will happen to those parts after thay're taken off the car?

Look man, I don't know the whole story, but I can tell you that some of these things aren't directly JGY's fault.

IMO, you're the number 1 person to blame for the problems, you let things slip through your hands and you agreed to things you NOW say aren't in your best interest. Your standards also seem to be higher than most people on here. I expect a full engine swap, I don't expect a full engine bay detail. The disconnected horn, the fusebox, the EGT hose, even I wouldn't complain too much about those things, those are details to me.

2nd person to blame, of course is JGY. Yes, the Duct tape shift linkage and the shitty exhaust work made me feel your pain (I do, however, prefer to do my own exhaust work). They definately need better quality control and response to actual problems that are their fault.

3rd problem, some things can't be blamed on someone, the manifold leaks, the bad BOV, these are used parts that came with the used engine. They test compression and engine shape, if you buy a used part and a component breaks, you can't jus go and blame the person that sold it to you. I bought my SE-L about 8 months ago. Since then, my HS header developed a crack, 2 axle boots busted, and my catalyc converter is starting to go. So I fix them, I'm not going to go after the guy who sold it to me.

Good luck with your situation. You have my sympathy, but only to an extent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Enough said

Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
ok, I don't have anything against JGY nor do I have anything to say in their defense. I would prolly never find myself there since I have Dre and Jason right around the corner, but if I lived up there, knowing what I know now, I'd still prolly let JGY do an engine swap for me.

For the most part, I don't let anyone touch my car except for very trusted people. Knowing Dre's reputation, he's prolly the only person I would actually let loose on my car w/o any worries. Other than that, the only people who touch my car are people that are doing a specific job, something like an alignment or bearing replacement, something I can't exactly do on my own. Usually, I have to clean up after them, then again, I'm anal about my car (speciffically the engine bay). This describes what JGY does. You paid them for an engine swap and it seems you weren't careful about the entire transaction.

I agree that most of the work is below anyone's standards or expectations, but many things were a lack on your part or something that is out of anyone's control. Some things you have listed do sicken me amd make me wonder about JGY's "quality control", however, some of the sour deals that have been made seem to be you not paying attention to the details.

IMO, your first mistake is paying them over 7-grand for an engine swap. Was this the amount on the initial invoice??? I see that being $1500-2000 for the engine and $1000 (or less) for the work, where'd the other $4,000 come from? When you start out, they should have given you an invoice for you to sign, either you agree or disagree and they cannot charge you a penny more unless you agree and sign any further invoices for other repairs or installs. If your first invoice said $7600, than you might as well be an idiot to think that a GTi-R swap is worth that much. If your initial invoice said $3000, then why the hell did you dish out ANOTHER 4-GRAND before the lawsuit?

I don't know why the swap took 11 months...how about YOU tell US? You didn't seem to be on top of things, I mean was your mind somewhere else for the extra 10 months? After a month's time, I'd be in their office every day, heck, I'd be under the car by then checking on their progress. I mean, when I'm putting $7600 into a single mod, the excitment alone would keep me in the garage.

As for the loss of your header and anything else they took w/o your permission, I'm sure at the beginning you were aware that your car would drive away minus an SR20DE and any mods that were directly bolted to that DE. Didn't you think to ask them about the stuff and work out exactly what will happen to your parts? Maybe have a written agreement about what will happen to those parts after thay're taken off the car?

Look man, I don't know the whole story, but I can tell you that some of these things aren't directly JGY's fault.

IMO, you're the number 1 person to blame for the problems, you let things slip through your hands and you agreed to things you NOW say aren't in your best interest. Your standards also seem to be higher than most people on here. I expect a full engine swap, I don't expect a full engine bay detail. The disconnected horn, the fusebox, the EGT hose, even I wouldn't complain too much about those things, those are details to me.

2nd person to blame, of course is JGY. Yes, the Duct tape shift linkage and the shitty exhaust work made me feel your pain (I do, however, prefer to do my own exhaust work). They definately need better quality control and response to actual problems that are their fault.

3rd problem, some things can't be blamed on someone, the manifold leaks, the bad BOV, these are used parts that came with the used engine. They test compression and engine shape, if you buy a used part and a component breaks, you can't jus go and blame the person that sold it to you. I bought my SE-L about 8 months ago. Since then, my HS header developed a crack, 2 axle boots busted, and my catalyc converter is starting to go. So I fix them, I'm not going to go after the guy who sold it to me.

Good luck with your situation. You have my sympathy, but only to an extent.
As you said "I agree that most of the work is below anyone's standards or expectations...". Enough said.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lex

·
Registered
612 Posts
Okay, this has gone from a post warning people about them to just plain bitching.

I think the most important thing here is to make damn sure you know what you're doing before turning over the money. If they give you exactly what you ask for as some have said, don't go acting like you know exactly what you need if you don't have a clue. Spend time with the company, whoever they are, get everything outlined for you, and GET IT IN WRITING! Using a credit card is a good idea in an instance where you don't fully trust the company, and you think you might need help in litigation over the charges. As lex said, get it in writing, make sure you check out the company first, and don't ask them to cut corners or do anything to get the car out quicker.

Better yet, just do the work yourself and save a lot of hassle.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Well, I don't expect him to do the work himself, that's not the problem here. If I ever got an engine swap, I'd prolly be handing Dre or Jay the cash to do it since I don't feel like tearing through the wiring.

His first mistake is handing over $7600. The work they did (even if it was a perfect, timely GTi-R install) is not worth $7600 at all, I don't know how you ended up giving up that much money, if that was in writing, I'd have walked away before they even looked under my hood.

Second mistake is having them do more than the swap. Once the swap is done, exhaust is a piece of cake, if you have the right parts, the exhaust should bolt right up, and if something doesn't fit, THEN you bring it to a muffler shop and pay them $30 for a quick weld or 2.

Third mistake is not working out the details of you old parts.

I'm sorry, but I just can't play out a situation where you can completely blame JGY for the problems, you apparently threw your money around, rushed into things, failed to work out the details, and follow up on them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts