Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
It used to be that what costs $7 or $70 or $700 in Austin costs $12, $120 or $1200 in Honolulu, so the price of this service may vary by that same ratio, depending on where you live.

There are Websites that give the cost of living for many cities so you can correct for the prices the members of forums give.

Try getting at least three bids, in writing, from independent garages in your area but if you do it yourself you'll be paying yourself pretty good tax-free money.

For the Slick Willy types in my area, one trick I pull is to pretend I'm mute.
Then everything is in writing. It tends to throws them off balance and tip the scales somewhat in my favor.

I gotta' say, though, one girl/recep at the counter of one of these places was particularly rude to me, so I suddenly started speaking in "a rather forceful manner" and she didn't at all like what came out. No, sir.

The look on her face was instantly one of rage, disgust and surprise, all at the same time; too bad I didn't get a photo of that. :D

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,709 Posts
Is there a 10,000 mile service? Nissan usually runs their service intervals in 7500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is there a 10,000 mile service? Nissan usually runs their service intervals in 7500 mile intervals.
SMJ,

I had heard that Nissan had changed the Maintenance Schedule, so I pulled up the 2016 Frontier Maintenance Schedule Booklet and sure nuf Nissan has gone to a 5K or 6 month Oil Change interval:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2016/2016-nissan-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

This is actually the same interval that I used on the '93 Hardbody for 20 year's,, and the same interval that I started useing on the '13 V6 Frontier that I'm driveing now.

I never did much like the 3750 and 7500 mile interval's. Just seemed needless complicated, but that's the way it was for a very long time.

I need to google the Owner's Manual, to see if they are recommending Synthetic Engine Oil Now.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide

·
Registered
370 Posts
SMJ,

I had heard that Nissan had changed the Maintenance Schedule, so I pulled up the 2016 Frontier Maintenance Schedule Booklet and sure nuf Nissan has gone to a 5K or 6 month Oil Change interval:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2016/2016-nissan-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

This is actually the same interval that I used on the '93 Hardbody for 20 year's,, and the same interval that I started useing on the '13 V6 Frontier that I'm driveing now.

I never did much like the 3750 and 7500 mile interval's. Just seemed needless complicated, but that's the way it was for a very long time.

I need to google the Owner's Manual, to see if they are recommending Synthetic Engine Oil Now.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide
Had some time to investigate when the Maintenance Schedule Changed:

Look's like Nissan made the change to 5000/6 Month Maintenance, starting with the 2014 Model.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2014/2014-nissan-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

They also made some change's in the actual recommended service's as well.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,709 Posts
It's interesting because today's conventional oils can usually handle 7500 miles under normal driving conditions. I use Walmart's Supertech full-synthetic 5W30 in my 2006 and 2008 Pathfinders with Nissan oil filters and 7500 mile service intervals, at which point I also rotate the tires. Both are in the area of about 170,000 miles now and both have the VQ40DE engine. When my 2006 hit 150,000 miles, I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs with 7500 miles on it. They said everything looked great and recommended I extended the mileage to 9200 miles and have it re-tested to see if I can extend it further. I still change oil and filter at the 7500 mark, but it's good piece of mind, anyway. Even more interesting is that Blackstone Labs says their own employees use conventional oil in their vehicles. My 97 Hardbody with a KA24E had just crossed the 200,000 mile mark when an electrical short melted the dash harness. I changed oil every 3750 in that using what conventional 5W30 was used in the dealer I was working at during the time (it was free). At 200,000 miles, the engine was running great (until the harness meltdown), didn't smoke or lose oil between services and the top of the cylinder head was spotless when I pulled the valve cover. I use the Supertech full-synthetic because at $17.50 for a 5-quart jug, it's only about a $1 more than the same amount of a "name brand's" conventional or semi-synthetic oil. Here's the lab report if you're interested:

BTW, you can read where they mentioned the high silicone level which might be caused by dirt. After the test, I discovered the rubber air intake duct was split and leaking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got a rogue and frontier. My dealer has free oil changes every 5,000 up to one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never done anything other than 5000, or greater, oil changes. Most have been the cheapy change at Wally World.
I'm currently at 217,000 - and not any sign of excessive oil consumption. Engine still runs nice and smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts