Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and I have yet to find someone who explained this swap in some detail. So here is what I have and what I want:
I have $5000 to do this 'SERIOUS' and I want to know of any problems or any little things I will need like extra wires, diff. sensors, shift linkage, little odds and ends. I want to swap my 1.6L engine out of my 96' 200SX SE for an SR20DET. I'm not worried about the cost of the engine or the labor, I just want to know how hard this is and what little things will I need.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
well, $5000 is a good amount to do this (that's how much I plan on saving when I do the same exact swap). Are you plannin on manual to manual? lets see, other than the block and tranny, you'll need wiring harness, ECU (I recommend you get Jim wolf's), SR20 axles, SR20 radiator, SR20 power steering assembly (I think), just about everything in your engine bay needs to be replaces with it's SR20 counterpart.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
manual to manual swap...the kit I want comes with the tranny, ecu and axles

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been doing a 1.6L to a SR20DET (GTi-R) for the last few months... Its a pain in the ass. So far, counting the Engine, Tranny (SR20), Clutch, misc. parts, I'm in the hole $6000. And the labor hasn't been paid for yet. I might be having a friend in Dallas do it for me. He knows his shit, and has alot more time to do it in.

My suggestion: IF I could go back and start again, I'd buy a SR20DE powered car to begin with. Its alot easier and you don't have to buy many parts. Its alot harder doing a GA to SR (much less a DET) because almost NONE of the parts are interchangable. When they designed the two cars, its like they put the 2 groups of engineers in seperate rooms, gave them their parts, and told them that they couldn't talk to each other at all. Thats how different the parts are in the 2 cars.

Ben

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Yeah Im a little surprised about GTi-R'S comments....I mean the way people around here throw around getting a SR20 swap...I thought it wouldnt be too hard to get done as long as U had the $$$$....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi i did that swap and like GTi-R SR20DET sale you car and go buy a SER NOTHING WILL FIT you will have to everything. Tranny,drive shaft , harness,radiator,cross member,motor mount,distributor everything. Don't do it to much time and money. Plus with all that power you will need to stop so you will have to do a drum to disk convertion. Way to much money involde in that project

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
The swap done in my car cost like 5K for everything including tach, reprogrammed ecu by JWT, ACT 6 puc clutch, and labor. Needless to say, you get what you pay for, and i'm still fixing shit that shouldnt' have broken in the first place. I've had the car for a year now, and i've gone through a tranny, a clutch, 4 axles, a crossmember, a shift linkage, and an O2 sensor. The swap has been in the car for 2 years, and i've only had it for a year. I bought it off a friend.

So my recomendation is definently swap into an SE-R. It will save you tons of money. I would if i could do it all over again.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm knee deep in a GA16 to SR20DET swap right now, but instead of just telling you to buy an se-r, I'll show you what you're up against. This is in my brother's 97 200sx auto.

The motor was purchased from Karim at R390 sports. It was supposed to be a GTi-R but he said he sent a BlueBird without intercooler instead. Turns out it's a silver top Avenir (97?). It was about $2400 with ECU and MAF, and FWD 5sp and axles plus shipping. Turns out the tranny and axles are from a G20 so it won't go in the 200sx.

Walboro fuel pump was $110 shipped (Alamo). ACT clutch was $290 (SR20Dev.). Used BB intake was $30 (SR20Dev.). Looks like axles will be roughly $200 a pair. 2.5" Exhaust with N1, 24" resonator, high flow cat, and downpipe was about $900 (Local guy starting a SR shop/ inline with what SR20Dev wants). Intercooler pipes for front mount $550 (Local guy). Starion front mount $200 (Local Guy). Place Racing Mounts $250. LSD 5sp NOT from a G20 $400(Local Guy). K&N on Ebay $24 (heavy throttle). $150 for shifter and pedals, too.

I don't even want to add that up! Plus the MAF that I was sent doesn't have the right connector on it implying that it didn't come with the engine (US DE MAF) and the ECU is from a N15 pulsar (might be able to use it, not going JWT). I'm also looking at getting a high perf radiator for $188 from a friend (Blackbird93 on sr20deforum). One more thing, missing the ignitor chip, $$$.

If my brother had sold the 200sx and gotten an SE-R, to get it running we'd only need the engine ($1800 w/o tranny), Intercooler solution ($1200 for front mount), downpipe to go to OEM exhaust, and whatever JWT wants for a new ECU (first born plus 6 week wait).

If it's any concelation, you can use the GA power steering and AC pumps as long as the SR brackets are on there (checked part numbers at pepboys).

This swap is a money pit! Buy an SE-R! Don't buy from Karim at R390! After driving the stock SR, you may not want the swap as bad.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 1 93 nx1600 and I too am planning the swap, but the only thing I would comment on what everyone else said is I can get the engine for about 980.00 with all the fixins and you can actually keep your radiator and use reducers, or get creative- up to you

·
Registered
69 Posts
all these prices are useless. you guys gotta shop around. 200 for a starion intercooler??? i paid 60 bucks. i Paid 1900 for my det shipped to my house with goodies. you wanna save a ton of cash. get a part time job at a parts store and use your discount to get what you need. or geta job at a shop and have all the convenience of a lift and the right tools. do your homework my sentra was a base model E and after MONTHS of searching and question asking i found just about everything i needed to know about se-rs on the web. every conversion you wanna do has probably been done already you just have to meet the right people and ask the right questions

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
ALCA said:
I searched the forum and I have yet to find someone who explained this swap in some detail. So here is what I have and what I want:
I have $5000 to do this 'SERIOUS' and I want to know of any problems or any little things I will need like extra wires, diff. sensors, shift linkage, little odds and ends. I want to swap my 1.6L engine out of my 96' 200SX SE for an SR20DET. I'm not worried about the cost of the engine or the labor, I just want to know how hard this is and what little things will I need.

PLEASE HELP!!!

www.jgycustoms.com
These guys will do it, and have done it on many 200sx's

·
Registered
69 Posts
yup

jgy is a good choice. ive done det swaps before and the best motor i got was one from jgy. i put it in a g20. they also have the downpipe that will bolt on to your cat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts