Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Sentra with the 1.6L engine and I just realized that I did something stupid.
I cleaned the TB and then tried to set the idle with the throttle stop screw.

Does anyone know where this is supposed to be set? Is there a certain amount of throttle opening, or is it fully closed... ? For what its worth, someone else has already been at it so the marking paint was damaged pretty badly.

I realize (now) that the idle adjust screw is on the IACV, and I'm trying to put this back where it belongs. The FSM doesn't say anything about this adjustment so I'm assuming its some kind of factory secret.

Help!

·
Registered
66 Posts
if i remember right the stock spec is it's supposed to idle at 650 rpm. If you dont have a tach you'd have to get a scope or something to put on it to see where it's at. Or you could just adjust it until it sounds about right...but doesnt take off when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya the stock idle is set @625-650 MT, but the throttle plate screw is factory set. Idle is adjusted with the IACV screw.

I got impatient and answered my own question by visiting a local salvage yard just now.

I found two 1.6L engines with undisturbed paint on the screw. It looks like just a 1/8 -1/4 turn off of fully closed. I tried that just now and it seems fine. The remaining paint on my screw lines up there too.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts