Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you might know im new, can someone tell me the stats of the 1.6 (dohc?, hp? etc) and is there a fairly good size performance back up for this motor? thanks for any info.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Look it up online, search on google or something. Wes, a member here on the boards, has taken his little GA16 up to 249 HP..

·
Slashie
394 Posts
h8trice said:
as some of you might know im new, can someone tell me the stats of the 1.6 (dohc?, hp? etc) and is there a fairly good size performance back up for this motor? thanks for any info.
A stock GA16DE is 1.6 liter engine, and provides a base 116 hp (at the crank). I'm unsure of the torque rating, but it is probably close to 116, maybe slightly higher.

It is a DOHC engine, and also has variable timing control, which lets the ECU advance the timing a bit when it wants. The lowest stock 0-60 time was 9.7 seconds with a standard transmission. There was someone here with an auto that got 11.5 or something like that. Both are for Sentras.

In my opinion (and probably in Wes' too), the only way to get real power economically out of the motor is to turbocharge it.

I've gone the route of NA, and it livens the car up, but the money would be better spent on a turbo kit. In fact, I think James has one for sale for around 1k. (It's been used and doesn't come with an intercooler or Fuel Management, I think.)

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
wildmane said:
Couldn't you say that for most cars, that the best way to go is Turbo?
yes and no. most motors like ours wich there really isnt mutch n/a mods for best thing is turbo, but such as honda motors there are tons of parts to make heck of alot of power all motor. also theres the turbo route for the honda motors. cept the power setup is completly different. in an all motor car you have your instant power off the line unlike a turbo motor wich takes on up to 3-4k rpm. so it is verry possible that an all motor car and beat a turbo car but its all about what kind of raced you like. also everyone has their different opinion

·
Registered
111 Posts
Skoodles said:
yes and no. most motors like ours wich there really isnt mutch n/a mods for best thing is turbo, but such as honda motors there are tons of parts to make heck of alot of power all motor. also theres the turbo route for the honda motors. cept the power setup is completly different. in an all motor car you have your instant power off the line unlike a turbo motor wich takes on up to 3-4k rpm. so it is verry possible that an all motor car and beat a turbo car but its all about what kind of raced you like. also everyone has their different opinion

the best way to put it you wanna play with legos buy a honda you wanna play with well dont know a good name for the ga but its a damn good engine thats for sure reliable and strong especially when the car get in the 100,000 and higher in the miles :thumbup:

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Skoodles said:
Also, some motors don't hold up as well with boost, and so you would get the best in the end just going all motor. (Unless the motors are dirt cheap and you don't mind blowing them left and right.) The GA16 and the SR20 seem to hold boost remarkably well. Wes has his, (as mentioned earlier), at 249 hp, (I'd say what the heck and give him the extra 1hp, to make it 250). I've also seen a heavily modded SR20 put out something like 667 whp. I don't know how long that lasted though. Anyway, the point is, try and find a honda or domestic car that can hold that kind of power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stevja1 you are the weirdest person i know. I have never been told by a car owner of that car to find a different car company. But its okay cause i have decided not to buy nissan anyway cause i know three people that had nissans and they said the same thing " the electircal work on these cars are pieces of sh*t". Another deciding factor is that the a 1.6 dohc with its version of vtec only cranks a 116 hp! Honda that has swaped in a dohc 1.6 vtec is pushing 160 hp(stock)! Thanks for all the info sorry if it was a waste of your time.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
no........our ga16 can not and will not be compaired to this "vtec" could you do me a favor? look up the specs on the SR16VE <that is the true vtec contender, idk where your getting this info from but its false. nissan engines are strong as hell and the electrical is just as good as honda and much better than usdm......... our ga16 is nothing to brag about these days but it used to be an amazing engine! they used a version of it as a race engine the 510 iirc. get an SR20de engine swap and then get a b15 tranny with the 6 speed (spec V) put on and you will be mooooooooore than happy. boost it and you will grin from ear to ear untill the day you die.

Reactions: wes

·
Registered
327 Posts
yea but what kinda torque does that honda make? And you'll still be paying for a swap if not a swap then a over priced used car. I spank my friends ryans 98 ex so many times he won't run me anymore!. He has all the bolt ons.h/i/e fuel rail msd. His coupe weighs more by a couple hundred lbs. And he's up on hp by at least 20-30. They only make power beyond 5k rpms. From 2k to 4.5k they make like 45-65 hp. Thats weak. V-tech in a civic was a fuel economy thing not for preformance. You'd still spend 3 g's for a b16/b18 swap plus 6k for a 10-12 yr old car so 9-10k for a honda that strugles to mach a 116 hp sentra that you can get for 3k in great shape, add 3500 for a turbo and you got somthing that will out last and beat all but the most extreme civic for only 7k invetsed. then you got 3k left in the bank for other stuff. I'm sorry too....

·
Slashie
394 Posts
SXSENIS said:
yea but what kinda torque does that honda make? And you'll still be paying for a swap if not a swap then a over priced used car. I spank my friends ryans 98 ex so many times he won't run me anymore!. He has all the bolt ons.h/i/e fuel rail msd. His coupe weighs more by a couple hundred lbs. And he's up on hp by at least 20-30. They only make power beyond 5k rpms. From 2k to 4.5k they make like 45-65 hp. Thats weak. V-tech in a civic was a fuel economy thing not for preformance. You'd still spend 3 g's for a b16/b18 swap plus 6k for a 10-12 yr old car so 9-10k for a honda that strugles to mach a 116 hp sentra that you can get for 3k in great shape, add 3500 for a turbo and you got somthing that will out last and beat all but the most extreme civic for only 7k invetsed. then you got 3k left in the bank for other stuff. I'm sorry too....
I did not intend to recommend that you get a different car. I was trying to suggest that a GA16 and SR20 have something other cars don't - endurance. The base hp is low, but the power band is a bit wider than a civic, and bolt ons only make it better. A turbo on these things is crazy. If you're looking for a tuner car, these things work pretty well.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
stevja1 said:
I did not intend to recommend that you get a different car. I was trying to suggest that a GA16 and SR20 have something other cars don't - endurance. The base hp is low, but the power band is a bit wider than a civic, and bolt ons only make it better. A turbo on these things is crazy. If you're looking for a tuner car, these things work pretty well.
^ agreed, theres nothing better than being able to pull on a fart caned civic and still having the stock quite exhaust :thumbup: but in all fairness....unless you have $$ to spend just get the sr20, you can get more with bolt ons out of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts