Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
First post on a Nissan forum. About 8 months ago (July ‘19) I was driving my truck and the accelerator stopped working in the middle of my drive. I could floor the pedal, and it wouldn’t accelerate. I coasted to a parking lot and pulled into a spot. I turned it off, then cranked it back up and tried the pedal to see if it would rev, but no dice. I turned it off again and when I tried to turn it back on, there was silence. The truck wouldn’t even try to turn over.
Since then, the mechanic I towed it to said that the ECM was fried on it and needed replacing. Over the last 8 months we’ve tried asking Nissan for help (they don’t make this part past 10 years, apparently) who has been useless, we’ve contacted scrap yards, eBay, Amazon, folks who will rebuild ECM’s, etc but we’ve had zero luck so far. I’m at the point where I’m considering selling as is if we can’t find this part in another few days.
I’m hoping to see if anybody here has had issues tracking down the same part and knows where the heck I can find it or just any experience at all here.
The part number I was given by my local Nissan dealership is: 23710 zj 02 a.
Really appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks! -Mike

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,366 Posts
From your description of the symptoms, it sounds like maybe there's a problem with the charging system, especially since the engine wouldn't spin over with the starter.

A properly working charging system puts out about 13.2 to 15.0 volts, but this is a general spec, and the factory service manual should be referenced for the correct charging system voltage specifications for a particular vehicle. A battery should have a static charge of 12.2-12.6 volts. If a battery is not good, the charging system may not be able to charge properly. If a vehicle is not charging properly and the battery is good, the first thing to do is to turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position without starting the engine and make sure the charging system warning light is operating. When a charging system is not charging, or overcharging, a lot of "strange" things can occur. It's not uncommon to see a multiple of stored trouble codes in the ECU memory. So, whenever a car is setting a multiple of trouble codes, idling funny or stalling, or anything out of the "norm," test the charging system before you start pulling hairs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really appreciate the feedback, Rogoman.

I sincerely hope the mechanic working on it confirmed that, but I’ll check with him in the morning. He seemed adamant that it was the ECM, but I’m also not incredibly car-savvy so I wasn’t able to confirm myself. I will say he’s the second guy I’ve had look at it and they’ve both blamed the ECM. At this point I wouldn’t put it past anyone that something (seemingly simple) slipped through the cracks like a charging system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts