Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I installed an aftermarket Radio into my 06 Nissan Pathfinder with the bose sound system and the sound is ok but the FM radio reception is terrible I get maybe 3 stations total compared to my Toyota which gets around 15 at least and I made sure to connect the blue antenna wire to the antenna trigger wire on the aftermarket head unit. It's the pioneer fhs500bt only thing I could think of is that it's not enough power since I had to put the amp trigger wire on the same wire as the antenna trigger since the wiring diagram for this head unit says the one wire is for both. One thing I noticed is if I take the head unit out as far as I can by hand without unplugging it the radio reception gets better which confuses me. The clearance is tight back there I used the factory mounting brackets. Could being too close to the big metal bar cause a problem or having the radio output wires too close to it cause some strange electrical field jamming problem? I crimped a loop connector to the ground wire and sanded the mounting bracket down on both sides where it meets the body of the car and sandwiched it between there when putting the screws back together so it seems to have a really good ground. Are there any other things I should try?
Btw I'm not sure if the radio reception was bad with the factory radio because it was not working at all when I bought the car it had water damage from a broken sun roof but I checked all the wiring and there's not a bit of corosion anywhere on anything.

And I did use the correct metra antenna adapter for the Nissan antenna.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,600 Posts
If moving the head unit around by hand improves reception, the antenna wire shielding may be broken. Check the voltage at the power feed for 12v.

Go to the www.crutchfield.com web site for additional help.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,600 Posts
The Crutchfield folks are generally very helpful if you call them by phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts