Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just got a 2005 se-r spec v. if it didnt grind 1st to 2nd i would love it. i took it to the dealer and they said it had to warm up.....bullshit..it makes me so mad i want to drive the car to the dealer and stick a rag in the gas door and light it up with the designer of the tranny standing next to the car.. anyone else haveing a grinding problem?

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
a lot of the 02s had that problem, but they seemed to have fixed it in 03....you're the first I've heard with an 05 that had that problem

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
if you're starting it cold and just driving (especially in cold weather) without letting it warm up, you're gonna get that grind. especially if you try to shift hard.

always, always, always let teh car warm up to operating temps when it's cold out!

oh, and I hope you've broken that engine in properly....meaning, not raced it for the first 1000 miles....

·
Registered
86 Posts
my 04 grinds the gears until the tranny is warmed up. just shift lightly.

and as chimmike said, dont beat on the car until its warmed up.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
MT90 will still allow you to grind in the morning because it takes even longer to warm up properly. when it does...it makes for silky smooth shifts...but while it's cold, it's like sliding a pole through ice.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
chimmike said:
MT90 will still allow you to grind in the morning because it takes even longer to warm up properly. when it does...it makes for silky smooth shifts...but while it's cold, it's like sliding a pole through ice.
synthetic mt90 does? i guess the only real cure is letting the car warm so maybe a remote starter may be the best fix for this one :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have had that car for 3 days now i think. . . and i dunno if this will sound at all like a solution to the problem of the shifting. . .

when i shift, i kind of push it left and down at the same time. . . kind of like when from 5 to 6 it's right and down. . . this way it just gives it a straighter and more sturdier shift. . .

·
Registered
303 Posts
piercer said:
i just got a 2005 se-r spec v. if it didnt grind 1st to 2nd i would love it. i took it to the dealer and they said it had to warm up.....bullshit..it makes me so mad i want to drive the car to the dealer and stick a rag in the gas door and light it up with the designer of the tranny standing next to the car.. anyone else haveing a grinding problem?
I have a 03 and it does the same damn thing. You can expect a tranny to be stiff when it is cold, but it should never grind. A cold tranny should never grind. Repete that ten times. The spec V is the first new tranny I've ever seen grind, ever. It is not normal and you shouldn't have to live with it. The bad news, you might have too. Nissan fights to the teeth with warranty claims and lemon law claims. I have finally found a lawyer to take our case, but we got Nissan on something else besides the tranny. When we get the car inspected tho, I'm going to try and add the tranny to the case. Anyhoo, if the dealer is telling you your tranny is find when you know it's not, your pretty much SOL. The only advise I can give you is to check your states lemon laws. Talk with the manager of your dealer and make then put in writing that the grinding is normal. Be carefull, they are good at twisting your words. KEEP ALL PAPERWORK and try to get three repair orders in 12K miles on the same thing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I use a blend of Red Line MTL and MT-90 (heavy on the 90) and it makes the best of a bad situation.

The trannies in these cars are a pretty big disappointment. I've learned to baby mine.

Yes, it still grinds first thing in the morning ... especially when temps are at or below zero (F). :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
If Pensoil Sycromesh or GM Sycromesh doesn't smooth that tranny up, then you got a busted tranny. Like I said before, I think many more grind then owners would admit because they tell themselves that it is normal, put up with it because the car is faaaaaaaast. Either way, the tranny will probably have to be replaced at the cost of many owners down the road. I've had one problem with a tranny and that was due to extreme usage of the good ol AWD DSM tranny. When I drive the spec V, it reminds me of my busted sycros. The Spec V is gank.

I bought a used Turbo Talon once that had 140K miles on it and probably the original tranny fluid in it. When it got cold, the tranny grinded a little. I installed GM Sycromesh and it smoothed everthing out. NO MORE GRINDING and DSMs are known for bad tranny's. I got lucky and got a really smooth one.

I also just installed Pensoil Sycromesh on a 89 CRX cause it was getting a little stiff, (didn't grind) but I smoothed that out as well. I've driven many older manual cars and I never had a tranny grind (except for one tranny I wore out the 1st gear sycros) on me untill I got a Spec V. I even installed Amsoil 75-90 and it didn't help out one bit. I went out the other day when it was 5 degrees out and the shifter felt like it was moving in a pool of slush. Even moving the shifter left and right was pretty scary. Yes, I let it warm up a bit, but the tranny won't really warm up untill you go out and drive it. You got to spin the flywheel faster then idle.

I've done a little checking and 350Z owners have the same issues with shifters and paint that we have. Many of the same complaints. In the end, Nissan will fail at getting many owners back to the dealer for a 2nd car.

It's pretty sad that a 05 year has this problem. I thought they had fixed it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
caveman, one thing I don't like about Pennzoil Syncromesh and some other syncromesh fluids is that they don't give you a weight. They just use part numbers. :mad:

I want to know which weight these fluids are. They, as a class, are actually lightweight gear oils with milder, synchro-friendly additive packages. Why not print the weight on the label so if I know something about gearboxes, I might be able to figure out which one might be best for my tranny? :confused:

Still, this one is probably one to try if you don't mind experimenting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bror Jace said:
caveman, one thing I don't like about Pennzoil Syncromesh and some other syncromesh fluids is that they don't give you a weight. They just use part numbers. :mad:

I want to know which weight these fluids are. They, as a class, are actually lightweight gear oils with milder, synchro-friendly additive packages. Why not print the weight on the label so if I know something about gearboxes, I might be able to figure out which one might be best for my tranny? :confused:

Still, this one is probably one to try if you don't mind experimenting.
I don't know the weight, but it works in extreme cold weather. It might not help in the spec v tho, I think it has bad sycros to start with.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
It's still an odd problem for the 05s...an 02 and I could understand this. I guess going to another dealer wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
"6-speed Manual Transmission
The close-ratio 6-speed on SE-R Spec V features short throws and double-cone synchros for nearly seamless shifting into second. "

this is from the Nissan website. . . i dunno if they choose the right words for it !

·
Registered
34 Posts
its not that bad, i only get grinding when its cold. the tranny may seem like its grinding but its not. are u talking about mishifting and it wont go through the gate? i just got used to it. as longa s power is delivered its all good.

alf

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 1.8 and mine grinds aswell...might not be the same prob as u but it is a sentra, but check ur throwout bearing...that was my problem...it was a faulty part

hey alf...u got used to it yet u still misshifted into rev on 45 last nite?? lol...jk man

·
Registered
34 Posts
ouch. burn...

·
Registered
303 Posts
NismoB15Drver04 said:
i have a 1.8 and mine grinds aswell...might not be the same prob as u but it is a sentra, but check ur throwout bearing...that was my problem...it was a faulty part

hey alf...u got used to it yet u still misshifted into rev on 45 last nite?? lol...jk man

Did you grind in all your gears? Also, how did your TOB fail? Did the bearing in it fail? They either stop spinning or wear down and don't allow enough travel. Did you keep the failed TOB from the shop?

I don't see how a TOB could be the cause of a problematic 1st to 2nd shift only.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts