Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have seen on here that these motors can burn oil. i have been checking and i had to put a half quart in the car today. i have 900 miles on the car. i am breaking in the car the way it should. anyone know why it is doing this

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would keep a eye on it. I lost about 1/4 of a quart once during the break in, but after that, I never had to add any more oil.

It is normal for a new engine to consume a little oil. 1/2 a quart sounds like a little much. Just keep a eye on it. If you have to put another 1/2 quart in it, I'd take it to the dealer. It shoudn't need to be topped of that much. After about 1500,2000 miles, you shouldn't be using any oil at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the oil was like 1/4 inch below the full line on the stick
caveman said:
I would keep a eye on it. I lost about 1/4 of a quart once during the break in, but after that, I never had to add any more oil.

It is normal for a new engine to consume a little oil. 1/2 a quart sounds like a little much. Just keep a eye on it. If you have to put another 1/2 quart in it, I'd take it to the dealer. It shoudn't need to be topped of that much. After about 1500,2000 miles, you shouldn't be using any oil at all.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
what makes you think it burned any oil? did you check the car when you got it to see what the level was?

·
Registered
303 Posts
chimmike said:
what makes you think it burned any oil? did you check the car when you got it to see what the level was?
Man, your harsh and you jump to conclutions too quickly. He said he had been checking. Re-read the first post.

There is a precat failure problem that was suppost to have been taken care of in 03. I have a 03 and they wouldn't do any recalls for me even when I asked. If read read around, there are people who still need engines replaced past the 03 year. I suspect problems myself at 34K miles. My engine is just starting to sound like crap and I think it backfired today. Yes, it has premuim fuel in it and that's what it gets 98% of the time. I run 92 in it. Sometimes when I travel and prices are too high, I get mid grade when I am going to have the cruise control on and no hard driving.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
caveman said:

This sounds right. 1/2 is kinda iffy but new engines do use oil. If you do get more I would go to the dealer and get it checked. I have heard of some 04s still having precat problems but it doesnt necessaily mean it is you. Just keep a close eye on it and hope for the best. If something goes bad, be sure you have a good dealer and they'll take care of you.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
caveman said:
Man, your harsh and you jump to conclutions too quickly. He said he had been checking. Re-read the first post.

man, for all I know, he checked the car cold before, and then just checked it when warm today, which would make a difference in reading.

I'm just saying.....it may not necessarily be at the full line from factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New engines use a little oil during break in. As you all know in a new engine the piston, rings, and the piston sleeves or cylinders heat up during break in and expand and contract. This process allows the metal parts to produce a "fit". Depending on the break in factors can determin performance and life from an engine. From what I know, and I am no mechanic, all engines use a little oil during break in. That is normal. Take that as just my opinion though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey chimmike ....do you think everyone on here is a retard. i have been driving for 13 years, i know how to check oil. instead of making people look stupid you should help, i notice you do that alot.

·
See Below
278 Posts
piercer said:
hey chimmike ....do you think everyone on here is a retard. i have been driving for 13 years, i know how to check oil. instead of making people look stupid you should help, i notice you do that alot.
Hmm, such harsh words all the way around... I think that chimmike was just trying to get all of the information first before he gave you his suggestion. I would keep an eye on the oil consumption. By the way congratulations on the purchase! Hope you are enjoying your car.

·
Registered
851 Posts
was the car a dealer tester? (the car on the lot that every asshole gets to test drive?) i could imagine those things dont need to be broken in or cared for :rolleyes:

·