Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 Pathfinder LE4X4.
And I'm ready to start the add-ons...

First up is a Grille Guard. I've been looking around for a couple a months and they are starting to come out now.
www.autoanything.com has a few different ones. The ones I'm leaning towards are the Aries and the WAAG.
I think the WAAG looks nicer but is it worth the price difference ?
Which one do you guys like better ?

Thanx

BluesMax

·
Registered
40 Posts
In all honesty, if I were you I'd hold off until ARB or TJM (or another company of that makes high quality replacement bumpers) comes out with a replacement bumper for the 05 Pathfinder (that's my plan). Those grill guards that you're considering are pretty much purely cosmetic and will cause your front end a world of pain if you get into an accident - they'll fold right up and ruin your hood and cause more damage than if you didn't have the grille guard at all. Those grill guards also can't be safely used as recovery / tow points. OTOH, an ARB, TJM, or equivalent replacement bumper is significantly more substantial and would have integrated safe recovery / tow points. Just something to consider. If I were forced to choose between the Aries or WAAG, I'd probably go with the Aries - I don't think the WAAG is better enough looking to justify the price difference, though it may be built better which could make it hold up better from rust, etc.

I also agree with cwescapexlt4x4 - I personally don't like the look of those replacement grill inserts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand what you are saying about the grille guards not being very solid. However, here in Miami, I want the grille guard to avoid crappy drivers nudging my bumper and scratching the heck out of it as well as when I go off road , to keep the vegetation from scracthing my headlights and stuff.
I don't like those billet grilles either. I want to toughen up the look of my pathy, not make it look like a Chevy.....

I understand the grille guard would probably cause more damage than anything else in a serious crash but ain't that why I pay full coverage on this leased vehicle :thumbup: ??....

As the price difference goes, it is not as big as you'd think. The aries would be $318 + $90 shipping = $409 while the WAAG is $ 479 but I get free shipping......

Though choice......
Thanks for the answers though.
BluesMax

·
Registered
40 Posts
BluesMax said:
I understand what you are saying about the grille guards not being very solid. However, here in Miami, I want the grille guard to avoid crappy drivers nudging my bumper and scratching the heck out of it as well as when I go off road , to keep the vegetation from scracthing my headlights and stuff.
If you're doing any even relatively mild offroading with it, be very sure that the brush guard you get has a solid mounting system and is solidly built - I've seen brush guards bend in surprisingly mild off road situations and cause damage that wouldn't happened if the brush guard weren't there to start with. Basically, I'm suggesting that these types of brush guards are 99% looks and are almost always weak in the function department. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want - just have your expectations straight and don't expect much in the way of protection from damage if you get one.

Even if the insurance company covers the damage you'd still have the hassle of being without the vehicle while it gets repaired and possibly have to pay a deductible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts