Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a couple weeks now the alternator light and park brake light have been flashing on and off at random at the same time. It would happen maybe once a day, 3 or 4 times a day, sometimes a lot or a little, and some days not at all. Completely random with no difference if it was under full load or nothing on at all. Had a mechanic look at it and he seemed to think the battery and alt. were charging fine.

A couple days ago it started flashing again while the cruise was on, on the highway. Cruise cut out, headlights dimmed, battery light, brake light, airbag light and abs light all lit up and I had no throttle but the rpms stayed the same and the engine never died. No SES light.

Yes I've Googled this AND searched other threads and other forums. There's a few conflicting stories but for the most part it turns out to be the alternator. Just wanted to post in here and get some expert opinions before I did anything.

I'm assuming that it is my alt. at this point but if it isn't what else could be causing this?

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Both lights on do indicate the alternator. If it's just the battery light then you should start with the battery.

Autozone stores and the like can test alternators for you, they usually do it for free hoping that if it's bad you will buy an alternator from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both lights on do indicate the alternator. If it's just the battery light then you should start with the battery.

Autozone stores and the like can test alternators for you, they usually do it for free hoping that if it's bad you will buy an alternator from them.
Thanks for the advice. Turned out it was the alternator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2004 Nissan Sentra se-r spec v. Except I have a brand new alternator and battery. Battery reads 13V when car is off, and 15.4V when car is on. Brake light a Battery light are still on?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
"New" doesn't always mean "good," especially when it comes to aftermarket parts, and 15.5v is on the high side. I think you need to get another alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts