Nissan Forum banner

04 Maxima Rattling/Ticking Noise at Start Up

29K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  bowl 
#1 ·
I have a very disturbing rattling/ticking noise when I start my car up. It used to only happen first thing in the morning, but now it happens every time the car sits for more than 15/20 minutes. I have been told that it is my timing chain. The estimate to get that fixed is $2,000 I don't have that kind of money to spend on getting this car fixed. Anyone having or had the same trouble. Help!!!

#4 ·
^^^Of course it has to be fixed! Eventually the guide and the tip of the tensioner is gonna wear out and then the chain is gonna jump. Now you might have valvetrain damage like bent valves.
The $1500 price is about right. I think labor is about 10 hours.

#5 ·
$1500 is far less than I would charge. It's a monster job. Motor/trans removed, engine half apart, lining up about 86 pulleys, etc. Do it or you'll be buying a motor, and have them replace as many timing components as possible while they're in there. Better to do it now than find out they're worn later and pay the labor again. Or sell the car and go to confession after the check clears.

#7 ·
"Tight fit" seems like an understatement. I imagine it's possible, but I wouldn't want to do it that way. I'll admit I haven't done many, but picturing that motor in that car, I can't see a non-cartoon way of timing chain replacement. How much time do you quote doing it that way?

#8 ·
^^^Once you remove the motor mount, that's near the coolant bottle, you can put a jackstand under the engine and SLOWLY lower the car to raise the engine. Since it's on an angle, you can gain access to the timing chain easier!
This is how we do it so that the engine and trans does not have to come out, along with the annoying engine cradle.

#10 ·
If it's a loud clatter at first startup and when you rev the in will be the primary tensioner guide. The tip brakes off and the urethane slides down amking the metal rub on the chain. If it sounds like a supercharger under the hood then it's the secondary guides. It can be done in the car with ample room, since I've done quite a few it just seems easy to me. Nissan pays us warranty time to do it that way and only barely 5 hours

#13 ·
I remember when they used to pay 13.6 hours to do a timing cover on a U13 Altima because they put time in to R&R the head; I was making a killing on them! Then they got smart and dropped it to about 4.5 hours and I didn't look as forward to doing them as I used to...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.