Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a 04 altima with the 2.5 and i noticed yesterday that when i was at a stop in gear that there was a shaking vibration feeling from the engine. so i had someone put the car in gear while on the brakes and noticed with the a/c on the serpentine belt flops around all crazy, but with the a/c off its fine. with the car off i pulled the belt and its tight. whats going on?? please guys help me. thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but it only happens with the a/c on not all the time. and stops flopping while i am driving but at idle it flops

·
Registered
136 Posts
is your a/c working fine?? id think its the tensioner also

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys so i replaced the belt and tensioner and its still happening any thoughts? the a/c compressor turns when i flip the switch so doesnt that mean the a/c itself is good?? so when i have the a/c on and my foot on the brake when its in drive the belt flops all crazy but any other gear its just has a lil vibration but not compared to when its in drive,please help me guys its in the triple digits out here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
did you try replacing the belt at all??? id try that before anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i replaced the belt and the tensioner and it does it when its in a driving gearr period with the a/c on

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,227 Posts
hey guys i got a 04 altima with the 2.5 and i noticed yesterday that when i was at a stop in gear that there was a shaking vibration feeling from the engine. so i had someone put the car in gear while on the brakes and noticed with the a/c on the serpentine belt flops around all crazy, but with the a/c off its fine. with the car off i pulled the belt and its tight. whats going on?? please guys help me. thank you
It's possible that there may be an issue with the A/C compressor or possible over-charge of refrigerant. Take the car to an A/C service shop and ask them to check the refrigerant pressures; there may be too much refrigerant in the system.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,227 Posts
If there's too much freon in the system, it introduces a lot of drag on the compressor. If you're not the original owner, maybe the previous owner had put in too much freon.

If you've owned the car from new, then we'll disregard the freon issue.

However the compressor may still be seizing up when the A/C is turned on.

W

·
Registered
1 Posts
alternator bearings

I am having the same problem... Nissan tells me that the bearings in the alternator go bad between 90-100k miles. The alternator itself is ok but the bearings go bad and cause the belt loosen or bounce a little. I'm actually having a new alternator installed tomorrow so I will let you know if it corrects the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
02 Altima with same issue...

I've had the belt and tensioner replaced also and having the same problem. 101k miles on it. Did the replacement of the alternator fix the problem??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue which was discovered when changing my belt.... 05 altima with 81K miles...so far the mech is saying its the AC clutch...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue and it was the alternator clutch. Altimas use a special clutch in the alternator that will lock up under load when it is bad which makes the belt flop around. If it's not the altrnator I would say that the AC clutch is having the same type of issue. It is not the belt tensioner, I can pretty much guarantee this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So the final verdict?

I have the same problem and was about to change the tensioner but now i'm reading from the ones that fixed the issue already.So the alternator and the AC clutch were mentioned,is there anymoreinput from the ones that were work in progress?Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Nissan loose belt mystery

Hi,

My daughter's car has the same loose belt problem with the a/c on. Both the a/c and the alternator are expensive here in NY. Can it be narrowed down easily? Or has anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the belt is flopping with the a/c on and in drive replace the alternator ONLY. It is the only fix. It is not a belt, it is not a belt tensioner. It is not a compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for that confirmation. I recently bought the alternator pulley and I hope to have that installed soon. I understand the one way clutch in the pulley malfunctions under the extra load of the a/c (I guess locking up) causing the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wait, wait, wait.... Just they pulley???? I said the whole alternator, come on now, you're gonna get yourself in trouble trying to get away with cheap fixes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts