Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seasons' Greetings,

My '03 has 194,000 miles and has been running like a champ until recently. It starts fine but all of the indicator lights within the instrument/gauge cluster light up and stay lit until I shift into Drive and then all the lights begin to flash rapidly. The engine will rev normally in Park or Neutral but when I shift into Drive the idle speed drops to a lower RPM than usual and top speed is the idle speed; about 5 MPH. Pressing the accelerator has no effect whatsoever.

When the problem first appeared I could shut the engine off and restart or leave it running for a longer warmup and these symptoms would disappear. I could drive all day with numerous stops and restarts without any issues. But now the problem has reached critical-mass and the loss of power & flashing lights are constant. Luckily it stranded me safely at home.

So hopefully it would be nice to know what I'm potentially up against repair-wise before I get towed to the repair shop. Alternator? I purchased the Pathfinder at 89,000 miles and the alternator has not been replaced since then. Or maybe the Intelligent Power Distribution Module? It's original OEM too.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The lack of response to the gas pedal almost certainly means the ECM has gone into "limp mode" because of a serious trouble code. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse in a critical system, but you'll need to read the codes to have any idea. Guessing and throwing parts at it will likely get you nowhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lack of response to the gas pedal almost certainly means the ECM has gone into "limp mode" because of a serious trouble code. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse in a critical system, but you'll need to read the codes to have any idea. Guessing and throwing parts at it will likely get you nowhere.
Even though all of the indicator lights are flashing the 'Service Engine Soon' indicator lamp does not come on and stay on like it normally does when a code has been sent. If the SES indicator light is Off is it still possible to read a code?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It should be. If it runs at all then the ECM is alive. Before you go any further, with everything flashing at once, I'd recommend putting a voltmeter on your battery to make sure the alternator isn't going nuts. Above about 16V, all the CAN stuff will start to malfunction. If the charge voltage is normal, try swapping the ECM Relay with one of its neighbors. ECM Relays had a major recall on the R51's, and a defective one that's "bouncing" can cause some very odd issues.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just looked it up and your ride is too old to have the relay problem in the IPDM that was recalled, but your ECM Relay could still be causing the ignition to go in-and-out. It's in the fuse & relay box on the passenger side, try swapping it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks very much for the informative responses. Problem is I live in a 55+ apartment community and they frown on any and all attempts at car repair in the parking lot. Several months ago one old biddy reported me to management for "changing" my oil when in fact I was just checking my oil. So nothing left to do but tow it to the shop and hope for the best. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts