Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having some issues with my car. Approx 78k miles, no major modifications. I bought the car around 20k miles. I've had all the recalls done except the ECM reprogram (it's going in for that soon). Here's what I've noticed (more or less in chronological order)

*SES light- P0420 Catalyst efficiency (Bank 1) below threshold.
*Extended cranking time before starting, and when it does start, it doesn't idle smoothly after starting like it used to. It doesn't do this consistently though - sometimes, especially if it's been running for a while, the car starts normally.
*While troubleshooting, decided that the air filter was pretty dirty, so I changed the air filter and the spark plugs (spark plugs were black).
*Problems (including the light) went away for a few weeks, then came back.
*Car has been going through more oil and coolant than "normal." Haven't noticed any smoke from exhaust.
*Changed spark plugs again, light gray this time.

Any ideas? Would the fix be fairly easy or should I just take it to a dealer and throw $$$ at them?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi all,

Having some issues with my car. Approx 78k miles, no major modifications. I bought the car around 20k miles. I've had all the recalls done except the ECM reprogram (it's going in for that soon). Here's what I've noticed (more or less in chronological order)

*SES light- P0420 Catalyst efficiency (Bank 1) below threshold.
*Extended cranking time before starting, and when it does start, it doesn't idle smoothly after starting like it used to. It doesn't do this consistently though - sometimes, especially if it's been running for a while, the car starts normally.
*While troubleshooting, decided that the air filter was pretty dirty, so I changed the air filter and the spark plugs (spark plugs were black).
*Problems (including the light) went away for a few weeks, then came back.
*Car has been going through more oil and coolant than "normal." Haven't noticed any smoke from exhaust.
*Changed spark plugs again, light gray this time.

Any ideas? Would the fix be fairly easy or should I just take it to a dealer and throw $$$ at them?

Thanks
Brandon

Do you have an aftermarket catless header? Also have you loctited your butterfly screws?

QR25DE Precat and Butterfly Screw FAQ - MSV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have any aftermarket parts except for a CAI. I haven't done anything with the butterfly screws.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So for $100 while I'm getting the recall done, the dealer takes a look at the extended crank issue. Several hours later I get a call saying that the head gasket needs to be replaced, and they're quoting $1375+tax to fix it, not to mention whatever else caused it to break(which they don't know yet). There's no way I can do this myself.

Question is, is it worth doing with this many miles on the car? Or would it be easier/cheaper/better in the long run to replace the engine? (I really have no idea, not particularly mechanically inclined, just looking at all the options). I'm pretty sure it's not under warranty any more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
At 78k miles it definitely shouldnt need a new engine, and a head gasket isn't the easiest DIY job. You'd spend less just getting it fixed at this point, but make sure when you get it back they fix it completely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I second that notion, there is an "extend crank" fuel sending unit kit that usually fixes this problem. It bleeds off the pressure in the fuel lines causing the fuel pump to have to re-prime the fuel system before the vehicle starts.

The head gasket issues on the qr25 are well known but are usually first thing in the morning when the vehicle is stone cold. Have you noticed it loosing coolant or smoking a little first thing after starting it up?

I would try the fuel pump repair kit first since its cheap and relatively easy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
There's a TSB on extended crank time which entails the fuel pump repair kit. The dealer should do this for you FREE. I had an issue with this a LONG time ago. Brought it in, they fixed it, no problems with it since. Another option with the extended crank time is to turn the key to the ON/ACC position to "prime" the pump prior to start up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2004 sentra se-r spec v, and when i first bought it used i had some troubles starting it and it idled funny and died on me a couple times. and the SES light came on. i got it checked at autozone to see why the light came on. it said it was my crank shaft sensor. it helped the starting but bot the idle. i got it tested again and it was a bad coil. the crank shaft sensor is fairly cheap and i would try that!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts