Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble aligning the timing chain after someone dismantled it and didn't mark the sprockets and chain.
So I went to the book and started from scratch. Aligned everything up and through it back together and it started but would die if I didn't give it gas. Also it would make a sort of inplosuion inside the motor like a backfire every once every 20 secs or so. So I drained the oil and broke it all down again. I NEED HELP ALIGNING THE CAMS ACCORDINGLY.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,146 Posts
Having trouble aligning the timing chain after someone dismantled it and didn't mark the sprockets and chain.
So I went to the book and started from scratch. Aligned everything up and through it back together and it started but would die if I didn't give it gas. Also it would make a sort of inplosuion inside the motor like a backfire every once every 20 secs or so. So I drained the oil and broke it all down again. I NEED HELP ALIGNING THE CAMS ACCORDINGLY.
Which book are you referring to Hayes or the FSM? You should be using the FSM. To begin with, position crankshaft so that No. 1 piston is set at TDC on the compression stroke. Install the upper timing chains and sprockets to banks 1 and 2 before installing the lower chain. Align mating marks (golden links) on upper timing chains with those (punched marks) on the intake and exhaust sprockets. Align camshaft dowel pins with the sprocket groove and hole. Matching marks of the intake sprocket are on the back side of the upper sprockets. There are two types of the marks; round and oval types, which should be used for right and left banks respectively. Once you have the two upper chains timed and installed, you can now install the lower chain. Below are pictures of the upper chain assemblies. I've given you only general installation procedures; the FSM contains very detailed installation steps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the FSM.
The problem that I'm havin
Is it says align right ex/int so that the 1 valves rockers should be facing inward towards each other. If that's true the then how are the dowels on right side be facing upward in 10 o'clock. The right bank intake sprocket has a outer marking the should align in 10 o'clock. Where should the dowels pins be facing on the right bank ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the FSM.
The problem that I'm havin
Is it says align right ex/int so that the 1 valves rockers should be facing inward towards each other. If that's true the then how are the dowels on right side be facing upward in 10 o'clock. The right bank intake sprocket has a outer marking the should align in 10 o'clock. Where should the dowels pins be facing on the right bank ?
[/QUOTEthe mating mark would is suppose to be on the top not the bottom. Right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts