Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people! :)

I'm searching through the forum and trying to get a crash course in choosing tires but I'm still in need of some suggestions. I know next to nothing about cars in general... just how to fill them up with gas and that's mostly it.

I just bought this 01 Sentra SE 2.0, auto, 38K miles, that has 195/55/16 tires on it (there's an H somewhere but I forgot where) and after about a week of driving it (about 20mi/day on a major expressway) I took it to a Nissan service place to do an inspection and found two large nails in both rear wheels.

One is on the edge of the wheel which the tech said it can't be repaired (plugged in, etc) and the other is about half an inch close to the edge. The tech also told me that all the tires are in good shape, maybe less than 15K on them, and the front ones are in even better condition.

This would be a good opportunity to buy 2 tires, put them in front, rotate the front wheels to the back and fix one of the two tires that can be fixed and keep it as regular spare. Right?

So, do I get exact replacements for the Firestone Firehawk GTA 02 195/55/16 ? Every suggestion for tires that I've seen is not for these, either in specs or brand.

Do I get two 205/55 16 or 205/50 as chimmike suggested on another similar post (thank you chimmike) and have two different sets for front and back tires? That would also affect the regular size spare idea.

I'm in the Chicago area and do mostly regular city driving. No need for special performance tires, just all-around 16" ones maybe leaning towards better handling if there are multiple options.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I know there are several subjective factors that go into decisions like this but it will help me a lot to start from what knowledgeable people will do in this situation.

Cheers! :)

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
You can get the GTA-02s off thie forum, B15Sentra.net and the VBoard for dirt cheap if you are worried about cost.

I had them and I despised them and even wound up in an accident because I only ran them as winter wheels/tyres and was not used to their lack of grip.

If you get a different size, it will affect your speedometer by only a few miles. I do not remember if you should run a 50, 55 or could do both off hand. If you do upgrade, consider the Yokohama AVID H4S/V4S series as I have found them to be a fabulous tyre that has decently good all around grip, is inexpensive and lasts forever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NickZac said:
...If you get a different size, it will affect your speedometer by only a few miles. I do not remember if you should run a 50, 55 or could do both off hand. If you do upgrade, consider the Yokohama AVID H4S/V4S series as I have found them to be a fabulous tyre that has decently good all around grip, is inexpensive and lasts forever.
Thanks for the suggestion NickZac. I found the b15sentra forums a bit earlier and I'm going through them too to educate myself a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts