Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been all over these forums, and they've been remarkably helpful. I just recently changed the upper and lower radiator hoses, flushed the cooling system, and replaced the thermostat on my 2001 Sentra GXE. Now, it's running ever-so-much better, and no longer leaking coolant (bad factory hose connections) or overheating, but the temperature gauge is doing something that is of a concern to my husband.

Ever since we've changed the thermostat, when the car is turned on, but not started, the temperature needle will climb to just below the halfway mark on the gauge, and stay there. Right when we first refilled the coolant, it took about 10 minutes for it to reach that point (with the car running, not just on), but now it returns relatively immediately there when the car is turned on. For all other appearances, the car no longer seems to be overheating (coolant isn't boiling, engine isn't running hard, fans aren't kicking on like crazy, etc) and the heat/AC works fine.

Is it abnormal for the needle to go towards the middle of the gauge upon turning the car on? I was of the impression that it's not a bad thing, since it's not heating over that mark (and it does fluctuate, but only VERY minutely) but my husband says he thinks it indicates that there is something wrong that it's not starting out on the C and only rising once the car has been warming up for a few minutes.

For refrence's sake, we live in Phoenix, AZ, and the lowest the temp has gotten lately, even in the middle of the night, is the upper 70's.

~Tamara

·