Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to this sight, as in this is my first post on here. I recently purchased a 01 sentra 1.8L for a heck of a deal but it had a blown motor, 2 holes in the block. I bought a motor off of ebay that had like 23k miles on it. I just got done putting it in and getting it running and I have a few problems. I have prolly put 20 miles on it so far. The coolant temp gauge remains at the very bottom (cold reading). I have gone over the engine harness and don't see where I have left anything unplugged. I tried a different coolant temp sensor (no help) I have a cheap-o OBD II scanner that records live data and I can monitor coolant temp on there. The scanner says that it is runing between 169 and 172 degrees. Seems kinda low to me. This is my first car, I have always had trucks, but gas prices finally got to me. So that tells me at least the coolant temp circut is working properly but the gauge isn't working. Is there anything else in there that could be causing the gauge not to move at all? The car really runs pretty well except when I first start it. I kinda have to play with the throttle to get it to stay running but after it warms up it idles just fine. Then when I shut the car off and try to start it right away it will rev up and die. It will only stay running if I punch the throttle as the rpms are still climbing from the cranking fueling state. Any thoughts? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks guys

·
Registered
57 Posts
well about the radiator, the sentras thermostat comes from the factory with a 170 degree thermostat so the temperature should be fine, and as long as the connections are good i think it is the gauge going bad. but about the starting problem, is it throwing any CEL codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, It is not throwing any codes. I now have around 60 miles on the car after the engine swap and it is running a lot better. I no longer have to play with the throttle on the cold start, but when It gets up to opperating temp and I shut it down and try to restart it right away it still has the problem where it dies. But I guess that I can live with that for now. I have just seen a lot of problems on here about the overheating issues and the head gaskets on these 1.8 engines and want to make sure that I have an opperational coolant temp gauge. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts