Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what its worth, I see that Consumers Union has downgraded the 01-current Pathies to average reliability although they still recommend them.

My 02 has a collapsed lifter, see this tread for a bit more info: http://www.nissanforums.com/naturally-aspirated/145296-question-vq-valve-train-experts.html

It has also had an O2 sensor, and the lighting control module, the drivers window/door lock switch unit and some smaller stuff fail as well. Oh well..........

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this trucks a money pit!!! after changing my maf sensor last week the cel was out for a few days only to return yesterday. dont know what the code is but i can tell you that im so sick of this truck. i spent more money on this truck for repairs then i did on all the previous 4 cars i had before. im going to trade this money pit in . theres to many issues that occur with this vehicle. its a joke!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I hear you. I have an early build date as well.
I probably dumped about 2K into it the first year or so after I bought it used at 60K. I finally got it about sorted (knock on wood).

Too bad resale is in the shitter right about now.

Problem these days is nothing else delivers the combination of engine, utility room, and comfort the last gen PF does. Not to mention - try to find another SUV with manual transmission and real 4WD. Xterra and FJ maybe, but they fall short by about 20 cubic ft on cargo space.

Anyway.. just think eventually you'll have replaced every sensor that can fail and you'll be good for another 80K.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you. I have an early build date as well.
I probably dumped about 2K into it the first year or so after I bought it used at 60K. I finally got it about sorted (knock on wood).

Too bad resale is in the shitter right about now.

Problem these days is nothing else delivers the combination of engine, utility room, and comfort the last gen PF does. Not to mention - try to find another SUV with manual transmission and real 4WD. Xterra and FJ maybe, but they fall short by about 20 cubic ft on cargo space.

Anyway.. just think eventually you'll have replaced every sensor that can fail and you'll be good for another 80K.
so many things can and will go wrong with this truck. its like throwing your money out the window each payday. its ridiculous how many times the cel light comes on, and i took care of this truck too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
this trucks a money pit!!! after changing my maf sensor last week the cel was out for a few days only to return yesterday. dont know what the code is but i can tell you that im so sick of this truck. i spent more money on this truck for repairs then i did on all the previous 4 cars i had before. im going to trade this money pit in . theres to many issues that occur with this vehicle. its a joke!!!
It's just funny... A year ago, one of your posts indicated that this car actually very good... Since I have the same model as you, I was thinking at the time, that it's amatter of time until things will go from bad to worse ...

Here is my list of repairs: (just major ones):
1. Driver side mirror flutters over 110 Km/h - replaced under warranty with a new one. Problem stayed the same with new mirror. Eventually I gave up!

2. Electic motor of the window regulator failed (driver side) - changed under warranty. After the warranty expired, from the 5th year it no loger operates when temperature outside is negative. Similar on passenger side, and eventually I gave up.

3. Front Brake rotors warped at 25,000 KM. Dealer did not want to replace them, but resurfaced. (no cost - no quality either)

4. AC had to be recharged in the 4'td year, (warrany expired), as it was no longer cooling. repair: $380

5. Mass-air flow sensor broke (warrany expired): repair $650

6. Changed tires on $68,000km: $900

7. "Check engine soon" light (warrany expired): reprogram for catalitic : repair$120

8. "Check engine soon" (warrany expired): O2 Sensor: repair $580

9. In-dashboard CD changer broke (warrany expired): replaced with JVC Exad DVD for $1,000

10. Mufler pipe broke after significant rust: repair $480

11. Battery changed: $90

12. Front brakes with brand new rotors: $850

13. Belts craked and replaced idle pully assembly: repair: $420

14. I just came from NISSAN service who finnaly figured out that radiator fan clutch needs to be changed if I want to get rid of the annoyng whisle/cricket noise estimated cost: 340 parts + 180 labour = $520

15. Cam sensor $110 I did replaced it myself

16. Rust, rust , rust everywhere... the step rails are bearly hanging ...

Also I want to mention that I've changed 2 windshields in 7 years, and that the car has significant rust: under the winshield frame, step rails are 60% rusted, as well as rust is coming from the back doors windows frame.

And in the end: "check engine light" comes up 4-5 times a year. I gave up in driving to NISSAN and spend each time $100 diagnostication fee. Instead I've purchased a OBDCII code reader, and I shut off the light myself. Just few days ago another light came up code 0160 (the other bank O2 sensor). I decided to ignore this one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's just funny... A year ago, one of your posts indicated that this car actually very good... Since I have the same model as you, I was thinking at the time, that it's amatter of time until things will go from bad to worse ...

Here is my list of repairs: (just major ones):
1. Driver side mirror flutters over 110 Km/h - replaced under warranty with a new one. Problem stayed the same with new mirror. Eventually I gave up!

2. Electic motor of the window regulator failed (driver side) - changed under warranty. After the warranty expired, from the 5th year it no loger operates when temperature outside is negative. Similar on passenger side, and eventually I gave up.

3. Front Brake rotors warped at 25,000 KM. Dealer did not want to replace them, but resurfaced. (no cost - no quality either)

4. AC had to be recharged in the 4'td year, (warrany expired), as it was no longer cooling. repair: $380

5. Mass-air flow sensor broke (warrany expired): repair $650

6. Changed tires on $68,000km: $900

7. "Check engine soon" light (warrany expired): reprogram for catalitic : repair$120

8. "Check engine soon" (warrany expired): O2 Sensor: repair $580

9. In-dashboard CD changer broke (warrany expired): replaced with JVC Exad DVD for $1,000

10. Mufler pipe broke after significant rust: repair $480

11. Battery changed: $90

12. Front brakes with brand new rotors: $850

13. Belts craked and replaced idle pully assembly: repair: $420

14. I just came from NISSAN service who finnaly figured out that radiator fan clutch needs to be changed if I want to get rid of the annoyng whisle/cricket noise estimated cost: 340 parts + 180 labour = $520

15. Cam sensor $110 I did replaced it myself

16. Rust, rust , rust everywhere... the step rails are bearly hanging ...

Also I want to mention that I've changed 2 windshields in 7 years, and that the car has significant rust: under the winshield frame, step rails are 60% rusted, as well as rust is coming from the back doors windows frame.

And in the end: "check engine light" comes up 4-5 times a year. I gave up in driving to NISSAN and spend each time $100 diagnostication fee. Instead I've purchased a OBDCII code reader, and I shut off the light myself. Just few days ago another light came up code 0160 (the other bank O2 sensor). I decided to ignore this one.

you are right i did say it was going good for me, not anymore. its just a matter of time til i trade this money hungry pig in. i dont think ill ever buy a nissan again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeez! My wife and I were just thinking of buying an 05 or 06 with low mileage. Part of the attraction was the idea that it would be very reliable and not need much maintenance. I had just scanned through the forum titles and didn't see much related to late model problems. I'm glad I saw this thread! We may have to rethink buying one of these.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FWIW I have an 02 SE that has none of the problems that plague the 01s. Aside from routine maintenance, the only expensive fix has been the rear suspension which ran $500-$600. Not bad for a 6 yr old vehicle with 146K miles all of them in the rust belt. The only work on the brakes has been new pads (front only) and the exhaust is all original. Eventually I'll have to put money into it but I have no complaints. I have very few off-road miles but when it happens the handling is great. It's good in deep snow and would probably be great if I put on snow tires. I don't think I'd buy another suv but I love this one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jeez! My wife and I were just thinking of buying an 05 or 06 with low mileage. Part of the attraction was the idea that it would be very reliable and not need much maintenance. I had just scanned through the forum titles and didn't see much related to late model problems. I'm glad I saw this thread! We may have to rethink buying one of these.
Note that the design changed in 05, so what is talked about on the 01-04 may not apply to the 05-08.

·
Registered
1 Posts
01 Pathy SE 4wd 2/01 build date

Bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor failed
MAF sensor failed....twice
CD changer crapped out - replaced with single disk JVC HD unit
Drivers side power seat has stopped moving to and fro (it's stuck in my position so I'm dealing with it)
Rear window defrost only works on half the window (upper half)
Rear wiper only wipes half the window. (lower half)

I bought it when it had 39,000 on and it now has 95,000. Should I keep it or try and trade it in? I heard on the radio the other day that mid-size SUVs just depreciated by $2500 and that they were a thing of the past.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, this is a little creepy...I have the same history!

O2 sensors failed (2)
MAF failed
CD changer failed...replaced with single disk JVC
Drivers side seat stopped moving
...but, also valve timing sensor failed

Purchased with 36K miles...now 72K.

Many of those things happened within 6 months of each other a few years ago and I was getting really pissed off. In the past about two years I've had zero problems though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts