Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've never had my CEL or SES light go on, and I am getting TERRIBLE gas mileage. I can barely get 200 miles out of a tank, and I fill around 16 to 16.5 gallons each time. I know if O2 sensors go bad it can cause that, but I have no lights on my dash to signify this. What else can cause poor gas mileage? my oil is overdue, but it was like this even before that. What can i do to improve it? i'm a college student filling premium spending $65 a week on gas because of this. This is mostly highway miles also, with some, very little, spirited driving.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my dad gave it to me in 05, but i don't remember him ever saying the CEL light go on. he gave it to me at 95k. so since that mark the light has never come on. I had a coolant leak recently, and had to replace my exhaust system, but that was all.

· Registered
422 Posts
-spark plugs and wires
-fuel filter
-check air filter and replace if necessary
-replace transmission, transfer case, and both diff. fluids (if 4wd, if not only rear dif and tranny)
-brake fluid
-power steering fluid
-coolant
-possibly water pump
-idk if your year has rear drums, but clean those if you have them
-check and replace rubber hoses for coolant system

this is just the list i came up with for mine except for the water pump. I bought mine at 105k and dont know what has been done to it except timing belt and water pump, so this summer im going to do all that and replace all of the fluids that i can with full synthetic fluids

· Registered
50 Posts
That difference can be explained by driving habits.
Stop tailgating. Count 1001, 1002, 1003 or more between you and the car ahead of you. Tailgating can cut gas mileage by over 30%.
Start out slower. Don't punch it everytime you take off.
Stop speeding. Speeding means more braking and that means less gas mileage.
These habits could easily explain the 4 mpg that you are missing.

· Registered
422 Posts
Yea and they said a bunch of other stuff thats bull...def. dont tailgate...i baby the crap out of mine which is why I get a mostly highway some city 19.6 on average...I think I can get over 20 on an all highway trip...just set the cruise at 5 over and enjoy the sites and music, 5 minutes doenst mean much in the long run

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That difference can be explained by driving habits.
Stop tailgating. Count 1001, 1002, 1003 or more between you and the car ahead of you. Tailgating can cut gas mileage by over 30%.
Start out slower. Don't punch it everytime you take off.
Stop speeding. Speeding means more braking and that means less gas mileage.
These habits could easily explain the 4 mpg that you are missing.
i consistently get 200 miles out of a full tank from stop pump, to light on, about 16 gallons. if my driving habits are that consistent then wow. and like i said, this is mostly highway. i used to get at least 250 miles 2 years ago driving more aggressive than i do now. i don't punch it everytime. my max rpm is 3k, 4k if i need to pass somebody on the start. highway i try to keep it under 3k, but with the flow of traffic at about 70-80 its whatever i can get. still overall not much has changed and my mileage sucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.