Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Can someone tell me the most logical plan to troubleshoot my "Brake" light that has been on for several months now?

I have inspected the brake fluid level and topped it off just a tiny bit (but it was within the normal limits)
I made sure the plunger on the e-brake mechanism is being depressed when in the OFF position.

I am assuming the plunger switch on the ebrake mechanism simply provides a ground to turn the "Brake" light off when depressed but cannot make it go away.

Thoughts? Thanks: Ed

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
Did you make sure the harness going to the master cylinder is still connected?
Also, did you look in the MC to see if the float is floating and NOT in the sunken position?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know it seems like a stupid question.. but i had the same problem... did you actually go and check all your brake pads to make sure they didn't need replacing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i have not. I know I need to replace the pads/shoes this spring along with other maintenance stuff. I was under the impression, the only way the brake light would go on from low pads/shoes is due to the drop in brake fluid level as a result of the lower pads/shoes. Am I wrong or is there a way for the vehicle to sense the pad/shoes and trigger a light? Thanks: Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
my brakes were ground all the way down to the point they were squealing whenever the brakes were used (very annoying) my brake fluid level didn't really drop, but yeah the brake light was on... as soon as i replaced the brakes, it went off. if you need new brakes anyways I'd start with that. they're really easy to do yourself, then drive it around. your light should go out after that. As for the car "sensing" the worn brakes i have no idea i just know that changing the brakes out fixed it completely for me... but as always your mileage may vary. best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts