Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Pathfinder is beginning to need some normal maintenance (struts, brakes, etc) but also the clutch is beginning to feel a bit softer than before.

My wife noticed it first (as she drives it the most) but it does seem softer lately. Is this the feel of a clutch losing its grip and within some trime frame of needing to be replaced?

The truck has approx. 78Kmiles and is normally not highway driven unless on family trips a few times a year.

Thoughts? Thanks: Ed

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My 2001 Pathfinder is beginning to need some normal maintenance (struts, brakes, etc) but also the clutch is beginning to feel a bit softer than before.

My wife noticed it first (as she drives it the most) but it does seem softer lately. Is this the feel of a clutch losing its grip and within some trime frame of needing to be replaced?

The truck has approx. 78Kmiles and is normally not highway driven unless on family trips a few times a year.

Thoughts? Thanks: Ed
I don't think your clutch needs replacing. The times where I had to replace it was due to difficulty shifting into gear at a stop. You should check your fluid level and bleed the system of air. The air out... that should, I'd think, make it more spongy/springy.

OR, the slave cylinder is worn and needs to be replaced. I'd get the slave cylinder at a local auto parts store. Should have it at a cheaper price than the dealer, bout $15???? It's been a while since I replaced one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ya you should check the fluid in your master cylinder reservoir. Make sure its not low. If it's not normal level, check for leaks of your master cylinder by looking up where your clutch pedal is where it goes through the firewall. feel around and check for wetness. If its not that, crawl under the truck and pull aside the rubber boot on your slave cylinder. If there's fluid in there, your slave cylinder is shot and needs replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my experience with nissans, before it went bad the clutch was really hard, I mean hard. And it broke in the middle of traffic... at the time I didnt have any money, but it was my brothers car so...
Anyway, the guys are probably right about a leak in the clutch hydraulic system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All: To be honest I ignored it since Feb until the clutch pedal went to the floor this weekend and stayed there. I found the rubber clutch hose completely rotted out and broken to the slave cylinder. SO, I replaced the hose and bled the system (took me a while since I did not know to work the slave cylinder to get the air out......) but finally got it.

However the clutch feels exactly the same! It works but not very grabby. I will keep an eye on the fluid level as i know how high it was when I finished at 11:15pm at night!.

While under the truck I probably should have done the slave cylinder as well but did not think ahead.

Any other thoughts? Thanks: E3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts