Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 3.5 4WD
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I bought my first used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 3.5 4WD, it has 164,276 miles on it less than 30 days ago from a dealership as is for $2995. It has a pretty bad windshield cracked all the way across (I will try to post the best pics I can). Took it to a car shop in Colville, WA because that is where I live and they have a pretty good reputation for this small town (Colville, WA) and were recommended by a lot of people who are local as well as a neighbor/friend who has used them for many years. I believe this shop has been in business for 15 years according to googling them and viewing their business profile. They did a diagnostic and the codes P0456/P1140/P1445 popped up. Check engine light is on, the picture showing the gauges/mileage has the seatbelt light and door open light on only because I had the door open to take pic and did not put belt on because I was not driving. I was told by the mechanic that the valves are cracked, open vent line for gas line and leaky cracked seals based on these codes and was quoted $5000 to fix it all! Mechanic said it was a total lemon and to not drive it much at all or I am going to break down. It actually drives really good for me, the 4WD works great, shifts good, heater and AC work, Radio and CD player work fine, security system works, looks great outside condition for it's age (except for the windshield cracked all the way across) and inside looks great for it's age (except for duct tape on the leather middle console that is black matching the color but it does not look too bad at all and it still is perfectly useable for it's function), goes from 2WD to 4WD just fine, all my power windows work, power steering is working, it does favor going to the left a little bit when you let go of the steering wheel on a straight stretch of road but not bad AT ALL, tires are in great condition I believe - good tread all terrain tires the vehicle drives out of my country driveway which is long and icy/snowy and now super muddy because of the snow melting finally since I live 3000+ feet elevation on a rural mountain in the boonies. Car drove three hours from Hayden, ID to my home which 20 minutes outside of Colville, WA just fine and has driven from my home into town (Colville, WA) and back three times now and that is a 40 minute round trip just to town and back to my home on the mountain. Is this mechanic ripping me off asking for $5000 to fix all of this? He said that basically buying this particular vehicle could be compared to buying a Ferrari as far as buying parts for it and difficulty level of being able to put them in. Should I be seriously worried about these codes and is the pricing I got quoted of about $5000 to fix it a total ripoff? PLEASE HELP. I obviously am a woman who knows nothing about cars really. Oil was changed in Feb 2021.

Registered
They did a diagnostic and the codes P0456/P1140/P1445 popped up. Check engine light is on, the picture showing the gauges/mileage has the seatbelt light and door open light on only because I had the door open to take pic and did not put belt on because I was not driving. I was told by the mechanic that the valves are cracked, open vent line for gas line and leaky cracked seals based on these codes and was quoted $5000 to fix it all!
That sounds very suspicious to me. The P0456 and P1445 could be from a cracked evap canister or a bad evap vent solenoid valve, but nothing like a cracked valve in the engine. The P1140 is almost always a bad camshaft sensor or some metallic crud stuck on the cam reluctor (the metal teeth on the cam that trigger the sensor). Even at Nissan list prices, an Evap Canister is $360, an Evap Vent Solenoid is $135, and a Cam Sensor is $140. There isn't much labor for either one, three hours at the most even if the broken evap sent charcoal into the purge tubing and require it to be blown out. Where they're coming up with $5000, I have no idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds very suspicious to me. The P0456 and P1445 could be from a cracked evap canister or a bad evap vent solenoid valve, but nothing like a cracked valve in the engine. The P1140 is almost always a bad camshaft sensor or some metallic crud stuck on the cam reluctor (the metal teeth on the cam that trigger the sensor). Even at Nissan list prices, an Evap Canister is $360, an Evap Vent Solenoid is $135, and a Cam Sensor is $140. There isn't much labor for either one, three hours at the most even if the broken evap sent charcoal into the purge tubing and require it to be blown out. Where they're coming up with $5000, I have no idea.
Hi, okay VStar650CL, thank you so very much for the info. I just about died when the mechanic told me about $5000 to get it at all done. Now, since the car is running very well at this time, should I just minimally drive it for a while (and how many miles about per month do you think I should limit it to or do I even need to worry about how much I drive it at all for now?) and then what parts do you recommend I get fixed in order of importance? I am looking for answers, please, in terms of what I "absolutely MUST" fix (because I am going to damage or total the car by continuing to drive it), what I "probably SHOULD" fix later on down the line (and how soon you think that should be done before it might damage the car), and what I "CAN" get fixed later on down the line (as it really will not damage/total the car or harm the way it runs really). Can you help guide me in terms of that? I don't want to be ripped off to death by a mechanic that is going to pressure me to "fix all of this now for this psychotic price or your car with be totaled very soon". Do you or anyone have any tips, links or videos for me to maybe try to figure out exactly what the problems may be and where I should start first? I am wondering if I should buy parts myself first and then find a mechanic to put them in or if that is going to be a bad idea on my part since I may not know exactly what triggered the codes and not know for sure which specific part I do need to fix it? Sorry I am not good with cars, and never owned a Nissan before, so I just don't know.....

Registered
Now, since the car is running very well at this time, should I just minimally drive it for a while (and how many miles about per month do you think I should limit it to or do I even need to worry about how much I drive it at all for now?) and then what parts do you recommend I get fixed in order of importance?
If the cam sensor fails completely it will leave you stranded, so attend to the P1140 right away. Chances are it's simply a dying sensor and won't cost a ton, but I do recommend using the genuine Nissan part and not aftermarket. You can get a good break on genuine parts at NissanPartsDeal.com. The evap codes can be repaired at your convenience, but if you'll be driving it for awhile before repair, I'd recommend having someone yank the canister out of the vehicle. If the charcoal bag inside it breaks, it will clog the purge lines and complicate the repair later on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, beautiful dog. Mine is a Shih Tzu-Pekingese mutt in case you were wondering, and yes, that's a motorcycle cargo carrier he's perched in. ;)
Thanks! I have Pomeranians and Siberian Huskies - love them both. I appreciate all breeds of dog, large or small :) Your little dog is adorable, I always thought Pekinese were so cute and had such a cool breed history - so your dog is a really neat mix with the Pekinese/Shih-Tzu!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the cam sensor fails completely it will leave you stranded, so attend to the P1140 right away. Chances are it's simply a dying sensor and won't cost a ton, but I do recommend using the genuine Nissan part and not aftermarket. You can get a good break on genuine parts at NissanPartsDeal.com. The evap codes can be repaired at your convenience, but if you'll be driving it for awhile before repair, I'd recommend having someone yank the canister out of the vehicle. If the charcoal bag inside it breaks, it will clog the purge lines and complicate the repair later on.
Thank you so much for your advice! Very appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts