Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My friend has a 2000 Sentra GXE 1.8L and he's been having problems for awhile now. I told him I would help him so I do what I normally do for my car and ask on a forum to answer some questions.

First, it has problems idling. It stalls at stop lights but just now it idled without dieing. It seems hit or miss or if the engine is warm it'll do it. It doesn't sound good at all and he's had the SES light on for a while now. I used my scanner and came up with a P0505 and P0304. So we have a misfire and an idle problem.

He said he changed the TPS and IAC valve. Seems like it didn't do much but he did change the MAF sensor and it did help according to him. Now I own a Saturn S-series car and on ours we have problem with the Engine Temperature Sensors. Since they were plastic they would crack and cause the PCM to get a wrong reading. That is my idea but you guys know more about Nissans than I do so your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems to be a real common problem. My daughter's sentra does the same thing. It wouldn't
't be so bad if it weren't an automatic transmission, because she has to ride the gas pedal at intersections with her foot (hopefully) on the brake.
I have cleaned the mass air unit. As elsewhere, it seemed to help temporarily. What's up with that? I think this problem is very dangerous, and nobody knows the answer-just try this; or do that!

Somebody is going to get in an accident!!!!

-JL

·
Registered
32 Posts
This forums doesn' t give you the right answer to a problem. It only give you an idea, where to start the diagnosis and narrowing down problems.
Now, about the concern, P0304-misfire @ cylinder 4. Take out the spark plug @ 4 and see the condition. Change it, if it is bad. If your car have a distributor cap & rotor, check spark plug wire, especially cynlinder 4 (try to look open wire). if none, If u have a buddy who has a tools to check Voltage flowing @ the wires. it should be 12kv to 15kv flowing through those wires. If higher, bad wires, replaced it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it has coil-on plugs, try to check the coil # 4 using multimeter. Check for resistance of the coil. It should show numbers on the multimeter. If none, like "OL(over the limit) or ER(Error) or Infinite. The Coil is toast. replaced it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
artniso- I am a pretty good mechanic on older analog vehicles. Sometimes, I wonder about all the comp numbers, sensors, and such. So much to consider here

Thank you for the advise. I will attempt this next saturday o9/18/08. The results will be posted. Water got into these coils prior to the problem occurring. Perhaps one of the coils is fried.

·
Registered
1 Posts
idle issue

idk if you fixed this issue or not with the idle on the nissan but i had the same problem with my 2000 nissan sentra gxe. my mechanic tightend my throttle cable under my hood so it would idle at 900 to 1k so when i would push the clutch down the idle wouldnt drop and stall. if your idle is an issue it might be because the throttle cable becomes lose after a while on the sentras.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
idk if you fixed this issue or not with the idle on the nissan but i had the same problem with my 2000 nissan sentra gxe. my mechanic tightend my throttle cable under my hood so it would idle at 900 to 1k so when i would push the clutch down the idle wouldnt drop and stall. if your idle is an issue it might be because the throttle cable becomes lose after a while on the sentras.
For idle problems clean and check the IAVC first.
Follow the FSM to adjust the idle speed, there is a procedure for this, tightening the cable isnt the best way.
Download the FSM at phatg20.net for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
throttle cable-idle adjustment

Well, the cable of my 2000 Sentra had alot of slop (gas pedal to carb), so I tightened it a bit. Also, set the limiter screw. It seems to work just fine. I may have overridden the computer somehow, but am happy to relieve the constant irregular stalling at intersections.

Thank you for the advise, and input. -JL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts