Need some help from you guys - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

Need some help from you guys

So I have a 03 Nissan Altima with 280,000 kms. She's been going strong but recently the turn signals went out. The hazards work fine, so the lights and flashers are all fine. The quirk that's got me lost is that I can still use my signals, however in an extremely strange way. To turn on the left signal I have to have the turn stock in the lower position and pull towards me to turn on highbeams. This turns on the highbeams AND the left turn signal. To turn on the right signal the previous trick doesn't work, the highbeams don't turn on and nothing happens. The trick is to twist the headlight knob on the end and set it to highbeam, then put it in the upper/right position. Another thing to add is that on the opposite side, the windshield washers, only the automatic setting where it sprays fluid, and the highest setting work. The rest have no response. I've done extensive research, tried replacing the two stocks, splicing the pigtail that connects to it. At this point I am frustrated and annoyed because of how strange and unique this is. One thing that might help to add is that the previous owner installed an aux cord to the radio, but the problem started a good 5 months after I've had the car. If anyone could help it would be extremely valuable because I am on the verge of just burning it down. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Mar 31st, 2019, 11:14 PM
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech

It's going to be hard to diagnose properly without having a scan tool to view BCM (Body Control Module) data. In the old days, the turn signal and wiper stalks would have many wires to accomplish the variable of functions. Your Altima works with CAN communication and various control modules. Your lighting switch, for example, accomplishes the various functions using a set of resistors in the circuit, which gets sent to the BCM and is interpreted, then that communicates with the IPDM/ER under the hood, which, in turn, controls the relays to power the low beams, high, beams, fog lamps, etc. So, let's say you have a 5 volt power source to the switch. "Off" may be 5 volts, just for example purposes. Turn the switch to the park lamps and it may send 1 volt to the BCM. Low beams may be 2 volts, high beams 3 volts, etc. The BCM can interpret the intended function request by the voltage of the signal and gets and then have the IPDM control the power to the device(s). Since it sounds like you replaced the stalks, it may be a faulty BCM. This, of course, would have to be tested and confirmed. If so, the replacement BCM will have to be programmed once installed as it retains the key signals for the immobilizer system. Nico Club's site has free access to downloadable factory service manuals, so it may be worth your time to look at the diagnostic steps and info based on the symptom chart. Otherwise, you're better off going to a Nissan dealer.

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in