Recall R3007; Resurfaces! (02-03 Altima 2.5) - Page 3 - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 73 Old May 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Post out Of Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinoAltima2.5
I had this Recall done in 2004...
Now that i have 114k miles, I am getting HUGE OIL CONSUMPTION and a rattling noise. It fits this Recall, and Nissan is trying to get around it. I'm thinking this this recall didn't mitigate the defect, then it should be re-issued to my vehicle. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have a feeling that the dealer is gonna try and milk me and say i need a new engine; which is what the recall calls for.

got this off nhtsa website.
Make: NISSAN
Model: ALTIMA
Type: ANY
Year: 2002
Recall Number: 03V084000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE PROTRUDING PORTION OF THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN. IN ADDITION TO THE CORRECTIVE ACTION, IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE EVENT OF POOR OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE THAT COULD RESULT IN OIL SPILLAGE, HEAT SHIELD(S) WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE PRE-CATALYST AND EXHAUST TUBE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Notes:
NISSAN RECALL NOS. R3007, R3014, R3015, R3016, R3017. ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. THE PRE-CATALYST WILL BE TESTED TO ENSURE IT IS WORKING PROPERLY AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND INSIDE THE PRE-CATALYST, IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
I hate to burst your bubble, but once that recall has been performed, that's all there is to it. Nissan will not cover the repair, and you're going to have to shell out some cash for a new engine. Check with your dealer, and chances are, you're buying an engine. The recall is designed to take care of the problem, and if your engine still fails, it could be from something else, like lack of proper maintenance! Been a Nissan/Infiniti tech for almost 8 years, and I know about that. Put a few engines in those myself!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old May 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Post out Of Luck

Quote:
I had this Recall done in 2004...
Now that i have 114k miles, I am getting HUGE OIL CONSUMPTION and a rattling noise. It fits this Recall, and Nissan is trying to get around it. I'm thinking this this recall didn't mitigate the defect, then it should be re-issued to my vehicle. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have a feeling that the dealer is gonna try and milk me and say i need a new engine; which is what the recall calls for.

got this off nhtsa website.
Make: NISSAN
Model: ALTIMA
Type: ANY
Year: 2002
Recall Number: 03V084000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE PROTRUDING PORTION OF THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN. IN ADDITION TO THE CORRECTIVE ACTION, IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE EVENT OF POOR OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE THAT COULD RESULT IN OIL SPILLAGE, HEAT SHIELD(S) WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE PRE-CATALYST AND EXHAUST TUBE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Notes:
NISSAN RECALL NOS. R3007, R3014, R3015, R3016, R3017. ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. THE PRE-CATALYST WILL BE TESTED TO ENSURE IT IS WORKING PROPERLY AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND INSIDE THE PRE-CATALYST, IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
I hate to burst your bubble, but once that recall has been performed, that's all there is to it. Nissan will not cover the repair, and you're going to have to shell out some cash for a new engine. Check with your dealer, and chances are, you're buying an engine. The recall is designed to take care of the problem, and if your engine still fails, it could be from something else, like lack of proper maintenance! Been a Nissan/Infiniti tech for almost 8 years, and I know about that. Put a few engines in those myself!
post #33 of 73 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitech
Just like Nissan North America, you're overlooking the contestment I made with this problem.

Yes the recall was done. A recall is supposed to correct HAZARDOUS DEFECT in the design of the Vehicle. My argument is that the Recall did NOT correct that defect. The HAZARDOUS DEFECT REMAINS, DESPITE A NISSAN AUTHORIZED RECALL. It's B.S. that one would need a NEW ENGINE at 80k with "normal wear and tear".

I couldn't get a class action lawsuit going, but as the numbers continue to increase by the month on this Forum, I'm certain it will happen. It's only a matter of time before someone is injured or killed due to this HAZARDOUS DESIGN DEFFECT.

I now have a new engine with 30k on it, and it looks as if I just drove it off the lot because it's been so well maintained. I had no other choice; $5k for a new engine, or $10k+ for a new car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 Old May 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Again, my point...

Quote:
Just like Nissan North America, you're overlooking the contestment I made with this problem.

Yes the recall was done. A recall is supposed to correct HAZARDOUS DEFECT in the design of the Vehicle. My argument is that the Recall did NOT correct that defect. The HAZARDOUS DEFECT REMAINS, DESPITE A NISSAN AUTHORIZED RECALL. It's B.S. that one would need a NEW ENGINE at 80k with "normal wear and tear".

I couldn't get a class action lawsuit going, but as the numbers continue to increase by the month on this Forum, I'm certain it will happen. It's only a matter of time before someone is injured or killed due to this HAZARDOUS DESIGN DEFFECT.

I now have a new engine with 30k on it, and it looks as if I just drove it off the lot because it's been so well maintained. I had no other choice; $5k for a new engine, or $10k+ for a new car.
Hey, you have another engine. You've probably got a better shot at the lottery than winning any kind of class action suit against Nissan. The recall should have fixed it, and I would be inclined to agree with you. Certainly, I wouldn't want to drop $5000 on a new engine, but considering the mileage you have on your vehicle, I'd say that you got your money's worth. Take care of this engine, enjoy the car, and leave Nissan alone. Life's too short to chase pipe dreams! Later
post #35 of 73 Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Same Issue here, 02 Altima, Recall performed @ 48,000 after engine light came on, Engine light comes on @ 67,000; Dealer recommends Head gasket!!! high oil Consumption, Engine light comes on again @ 106,000 Cat gets replaced, Engine light come on again @ 110,000 Head gasket gets replaced, Check engine light comes on again @ 137,000 Crank Position Sensor goes bad, Total LEMON, We should all get something going vs Nissan.
post #36 of 73 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

So I'm getting my Crank Position Sensor replaced, even after having the recall on it done.

You have no idea how much I hate nissan.

2002 NISSAN ALTIMA Recall ID from NHTSA: 03V455000
Auto Recall Date: 20031117
Vehicle Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 630000
2002 NISSAN ALTIMA Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR OR CAM POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION CAUSED BY HEAT STRESS ACCELERATED BY THE EXISTENCE OF FLUX RESIDUE DURING THE SOLDERING PROCESS.
Defect Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" WARNING LIGHT TO COME ON, CREATE A NO START CONDITION, CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER, OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
I was in the middle of morning traffic, in the middle of the freeway, when my engine gave. My wife and I were heading towards our 31 week pregnancy ultrasound.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANK POSITION SENSORS. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR(S), AND IN SOME CASES, THE VARIABLE TIMING CONTROL SENSOR(S). VEHICLES INVOLVED IN A PREVIOUS RECALL CAMPAIGN, 01V357, ARE ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS NEW CAMPAIGN. THE REPLACEMENT SENSORS USED IN THAT CAMPAIGN ARE ALSO AFFECTED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 22, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.
Notes: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC., R3021/R3022
post #37 of 73 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Nissan Fanatic

WUAAAUW!!!. anyway advice for all those who buy new cars. it's best to buy a new car which has been on the road for at least a year or two. so that all problems are resolved. most new edition cars have issues which pop up during 1st year of driving.

nobody want's to do vq3.5 swap? easy to do it yourself. vq35 is 1000$ plus 200$ computer for v6. so it will be cool. in the rear it will say 2.5 but when you push on gas it will be like 3.5 vq engine. vq series has been on wards 10 best engines since they started making them. I don't know who designed this QR25 and the precat. they are idiots. only idiots will stick a cat converter right in front of exhaust valves. it's just so stupid. idiots.

I will show this thread to a friend of mine who was screaming his ass out that 2.5 altimas are great cars and I was telling him about this same recall and engines blowing up.
post #38 of 73 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Nissan Fanatic

I can understand all those who have this problem and pay for it while it's design flaw. but this altima with QR25 engine is definitely the worst car ever built by nissan. all other models are very reliable. I have 220K on my 95 altima. the engine still sounds quite and car runs great.

to file a law suit you will need a lot of chemical tests, metalurgy tests done on your and other engines. so that you could prove that all those failing engines fail due to dumbass cat converter position. I agree one has to be mentally handicapt to put cat converter so close to exhaust valves.

if it was me I would do vq3.5 swap. it's easy. billions of people here will assist you. it's just unscrewing things and screwing them back in.
post #39 of 73 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Keep all of your records, print out letters from people that have actually won this fight, show them it is possible, ESPECIALLY if you've had the recall work done and you're under 80k, get the dealer to "go to bat" for you. Here's my story....

https://www.nissanforums.com/l31-2002...placement.html
post #40 of 73 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Yay - I'm not going crazy!!

I am having these exact same problems with my 02 Altima. Extreme oil consumption after the "voluntary" recall. Do I have a chance if I bought my car at Carmax and it has 88K miles? My Carmax warranty won't touch it and the NNA is telling me I'm SOL b/c I didn't buy it from them. What do I do now? Should I show up at the dealership with a stack of papers and demand it be fixed. All of the Nissan mechanics already told me I need a new engine, so I know that's what needs to be done. Am I truly SOL??? Any advice is welcome! I'm a single female and I think we get taken advantage of when it comes to car issues.
post #41 of 73 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

OK... all complaints aside; How much does a new precat set one back, -VS- waiting for your engine to fail and legal action to pay for it all? Sounds to me like those of us outside the shadow of misfortune could be better off relacing the pre-cat at 75K miles; to save all the anger & heartache.

JMHO.
post #42 of 73 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM
NissanForums Newbie

I don't mind replacing the precat, but did you read all of the other stories? Sounds to me like the cat is positioned to close to the exhaust so I will continue having the same problem. What I need is a new engine, not another faulty part.
post #43 of 73 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetears
OK... all complaints aside; How much does a new precat set one back, -VS- waiting for your engine to fail and legal action to pay for it all? Sounds to me like those of us outside the shadow of misfortune could be better off relacing the pre-cat at 75K miles; to save all the anger & heartache.

JMHO.

From what I've heard so far, if you don't have the problem yet then you should think about installing aftermarket headers, you should still pass emissions but you may fail the visual inspection, pay someone a little extra $ to look the other way. But you are at 75k so you are still within Nissan's 80k/8 year exhaust warranty, pay a Nissan dealer a hundred bucks or so to do some "preventative maintainance" and let them know you are aware and worried about this problem. I am at 75K and THIS MORNING I picked up my car from the dealer with a new (not rebuilt) 2.5 longblock and new pre-cat, free of any charges. If I were over 80K it would have been harder to accomplish but I've read about people prevailing under those circumstances as well.
post #44 of 73 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

It's a defective design, and it will eventually ruin your engine.

I argued with NNA, Submitted a complaint with both them and NTSH (?), and tried to get a law firm to take a suit against them. Even spoke to very talented mechanics.

Proving a hazardous design in a court of law, it beyond my budget.
post #45 of 73 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:53 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Ok, THIS is why I drive a Honda Accord! Nearly 5 years as a tech with Nissan & Infiniti, and yet their engineering hasn't improved much. Was a Honda tech before and can tell you that they don't have those problems, just major A/C & Automatic Transmission issues! Take care, and next time, buy a friggin Honda! Especially if you can't afford the Cat repair!!

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in