Recall R3007; Resurfaces! (02-03 Altima 2.5) - Page 2 - Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 73 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Blown Engine

Recently my engine blew on my altima. I did everything you are suppose to do..changed the oil regularly, got all the tune ups. Took it in for the free 100 point inspections. Yet it just went up in a cloud of smoke. It happened over the weekend so I do not yet know the exact cause. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the catylitic converter. If it is I would like to pursue a class action lawsuit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
cant you just get it fixed under the recall?

I'm Jeff's Daddy.
post #18 of 73 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Sorta-Newbie

Thumbs down

I have the same oil consumption problems, have had all the recalls done. My cat started breaking up at about 100,000 miles, right outside the extended warranty range. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and is ticking (not blowing smoke though).
We go through about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. The dealer told us $900 for a new cat and o2 sensors.

I just had to vent thanks for listening.

Oh the car is 02 Altima 2.5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 73 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

last time i checked my oil, i was down about a quart. i called up nissan and they told me that they needed 120 dollars to run an 'oil-comsumption-test'... needless to say, i don't have 120 bucks to give to them for something that might turn up nothing, so i just replaced the oil/filter with 40 bucks worth of royal purple and ill keep checking my oil...

miss my baby... R.I.P. Black Beauty...
1995-2006 4th gen max
Current cars: 03 altima 2.5: intake, exhaust, hid's and slammed.
93 miata, stance gr+ coilovers, rear sway+end links, roll bar.
post #20 of 73 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM
NissanForums Newbie

Angry 2002 Altima has same oil consumption problem

I'm so glad that I found this forum posting b/c I thought that I was the only one with the oil consumption problem, at least that's how the dealership and Nissan North America has made me feel.

My Altima has 112,000 miles on it but it has had the oil consumption problem for a while now. I have tried the same numerous avenues as others that have posted their complaints, but to no avail. The dealership pinned it on Nissan North America Consumer Affairs, then the Consumer Affairs pretty much told me that I was out of luck due to the mileage and being out of warranty. However, I have been complaining about it since the car had 60K miles on it. I also brought up the recall to their attention but they said that it had already been done so there was nothing more that they could do about it.

I agree with Vino and Christy and say that it is time to take action and try to get as many people together as possible for a class action lawsuit or to start a petition. I'm definitely in and disappointed in Nissan's lack of customer service! What's frustrating is that they know others are having the same problems yet they act like it doesn't exist.
post #21 of 73 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:16 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cltspecvguy
Sentra having same problem

If you're serious about getting a lawsuit or something started, get us Sentra guys involved. We're having problems from hell with oil consumption and the catalytic converter and getting the same answers. The SE-R and Spec V carries the same 2.5 engine as the Altima. Mine consumes a quart of oil every 400 miles on average and my computer just fried after they did the lining and reprogramming recalls and they told me to shove off basically. If this gets serious please let me know and I'll get the Sentra guys from b15sentra.net involved. They'd jump at the opportunity.

Caleb
post #22 of 73 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Sorta-Newbie

RE:

I am just experiencing this in my 02 sentra 2.5 Just this week decided to start going through a TON of oil and the exhaust is definately puckin it out. Class action lawsuit? I'm in. I'm gonna go visit a dealer on Monday and see what kind of run-around i get. What a piss off, my car only has about 88k on it!!
post #23 of 73 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
NissanForums Newbie

any word on a class action?
post #24 of 73 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

I tried a local (San Diego,CA) lawfirm experienced in class action suit, but they had no interest, and simply said "good luck".

It just occurred to me that one could take Nissan to small claims (in California) if their costs of repair are under $7000. They just increased the small claims lawsuit.
post #25 of 73 Old May 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
Nissan Enthusiast

holy crap!!!!!!!!! they should have just kept the KA's.
post #26 of 73 Old May 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
MTS
NissanForums Newbie

WOW! I'm having the same problems with my '02 Altima. My oil light came on over the weekend and before that happened I heard this pinging inside the engine going on. Well I had it at the dealership and they told me that they are in contact with Nissan Corp to see if they will help out. The Dealership told me it was my catalytic converter and the stuff inside it went back up into the engine and now the engine is basically destroyed and I need a new engine. My car only has 91,000 plus miles on it. I was told to contact the local rep to dicuss a campaign that is on this particular topic and that they may be able to help me. By the sounds of it, there hasn't been much luck getting help. I hope this gets resolved soon.
post #27 of 73 Old May 9th, 2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Nissan Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS
WOW! I'm having the same problems with my '02 Altima. ... My car only has 91,000 plus miles on it... I hope this gets resolved soon.
Same mileage range that it happened to me. Those b--tards...
Take them to small claims court and we'll all give you a written statement.
post #28 of 73 Old May 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
NissanForums Newbie

ALTIMA 2002

MY 2002 NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5S WITH 50000 MILES APPEARS TO HAVE PIECES OF THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER IN THE ENGINE CYLINDER, CAUSING AN ENGINE FAILURE. EVEN AFTER FIXING IT IN RECALL IN 2004 THIS PROBLEM HAS SURFACED. NOW I FIND HUNDREDS OF OWNERS OF THIS SAME MODEL VEHICLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AND IN MOST CASES THEY ARE BEING DENIED ANY HELP FROM NISSAN DUE TO THE VEHICLE BEING OUT OF WARRANTY.
post #29 of 73 Old May 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Wow! I also have an 02 Altima 2.5(114k) and my car is falling apart as well! My engine light come on and they told me it's the o2 sensor. Now my car turns off while I'm at the lights or parked. It just turns off! I've been looking around different websites and alot of 02 altima owners are having the same problems. There has to be some thing we can do. We all need to get together and do some thing!
post #30 of 73 Old May 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
NissanForums Newbie

Angry same problem with the catalytic converter

please remove this message I will repost with a more anonymous username

Last edited by eibrahimCA; May 20th, 2007 at 11:04 AM.

Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > L31 2002 - 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in