Performance chips. - Nissan Forum
B15 2000-2006 2000+ Sentra including 2002+ SE-R and SpecV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 29th, 2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

Lightbulb Performance chips.

I am looking at "performance chips". My Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 is already pretty fast. While I was car shopping I found that Nissan cars were hard to find used. People were keeping these and not selling. I went back to college in 2000 and later. I studied electronic engine controls. If a performance chip overrides the ECU of my Nissan, that would be great. If anyone has had bad or good luck with these chips please let me know. Thanks, Paul D.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 03:38 AM
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech

Most of the "performance chips" sold just simply give a false intake air temperature reading to the ECM to make it run the engine a little richer; they are a waste of money. If you want to run a performance tuned ECM, you need to find someone that can create a custom tune and reprogram the ECM. I would think UpRev or JWT would be your best bets, but, if you are not making any modifications in regards to the intake system, exhaust system and/or engine modifications (i.e. performance cams, if you can find them and I would be surprised if you did), I would think it would be a waste of money, personally.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie

Performance chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Most of the "performance chips" sold just simply give a false intake air temperature reading to the ECM to make it run the engine a little richer; they are a waste of money. If you want to run a performance tuned ECM, you need to find someone that can create a custom tune and reprogram the ECM. I would think UpRev or JWT would be your best bets, but, if you are not making any modifications in regards to the intake system, exhaust system and/or engine modifications (i.e. performance cams, if you can find them and I would be surprised if you did), I would think it would be a waste of money, personally.
Thanks. I thought as much. My little 2.0 runs in a well balanced fashion now. I certainly would not want the ECM to receive an erroneous air intake reading. The chip makers advertise faster performance with better mileage. That's suspect in itself. Having 122ci with 140 HP is fine with me.

Nissan Forum > Sentra, Pulsar, NX, B14 200SX > B15 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in