350z Clutch Problems - Nissan Forum
Z33 350Z 2003+ 2003+ 350Z VQ35DE - Engine and Chassis Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old May 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM
NissanForums Newbie

350z Clutch Problems

i have a 350z roadster and after only 10.500 miles the clutch has gone.

I hear it is a generic fault to which i am going to take Nissan to court for supplying defective goods, has anyone else had a cars clutch go this quickly as the more information i have the easier it will be to get a result

Let me know

Regards

howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old May 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Back from the ban!!!

Out of curiosity, what year is your Z? I only have 3k on my 06.

:SOLD:Pewter Altima 02 3.5SE 5MT Sport/Leather Loaded
To buy myself a 06 350Z Enthusiast :)
:SOLD: 1997 Ext Cab XE Pick-up 2-19-06
:SOLD: 1986 KC 4x4 Pick-up 2-15-06
To buy the wife a Saturn... :(
#3 Old May 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM
NissanForums Newbie

05 Plate

My car is an 05 plate, the clutch went in only 10,500 miles, so if you drive it and i dont mean hard be careful, current cost of clutch, flywheel and labour is over 2K which is why i am so pissed off.
#4 Old May 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Back from the ban!!!

There has been extensive discussion on other forums about the Z clutch issue. You are not the only one who has had the problem. I think 10.5k is the most premature I've heard about though. Some people have been running factory clutch for 80k+ miles with no roblems, driving the hell out of it, and some people have been easy on it, and had to replace at 20k. IMO, I think it is a manufacture defect, but there really is nothing that can be done about it, since the clutch is a normal "wear and tear" part. I plan on going JWT clutch and flywheel soon as I get the money. When you have yours replaced, don't go OEM, go ahead and upgrade.

:SOLD:Pewter Altima 02 3.5SE 5MT Sport/Leather Loaded
To buy myself a 06 350Z Enthusiast :)
:SOLD: 1997 Ext Cab XE Pick-up 2-19-06
:SOLD: 1986 KC 4x4 Pick-up 2-15-06
To buy the wife a Saturn... :(
#5 Old May 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
Powered By hopes & dreams

Send a message via AIM to chimmike
I've got 50k on my stock clutch, with 7k on boost and nearly 400whp. You're doing something wrong. You're either riding the clutch or something.

Upgrading, for you, isn't necessary. Ask for a clutch for the 03 model. It has 880kg holding vs 800kg for the latest models....except for the 06s which have a totally different part number all together.

but again, clutches just don't fail at 10k for no reason......if it was defective it would've gone long before now. I think you need to deeply analyze the way you drive.

only real motored toys left:
'06 GSX-R 1000
'07 Mazdaspeed3- injen CAI.
#6 Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
NissanForums Newbie

In my 2005 Frontier i had a clutch go at about 11,000. I have been drive stick for quite some time and never had a problem. After a little research i have found there are many people who are having these problems with 05-06 models. On this website someone reported losing a clutch at 5400 miles. No amount of bad driving should kill a clutch in 11000 miles or 5400 miles. I also found the service manager at my dealership dose not know how to drive a manual transmission car (he made the determination that it was driving habbits and not a malfunction), When he attempted to move my car he couldnt get it into reverse (he didnt know you had to puch the stick down and over) and when he figured it out he stalled it out 3 times in front of me. Do the research because Nissan is having problems. 2Gs into a brand new car is bull shit
#7 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Nissan Tech

What the??? Are you guys serious that you have to pay 2Gs for a clutch job while the vehicle is still under warranty????? That's not right. I have seen about 4 350Z's come in for clutch replacement, and only one of those was a customer pay since he already had 75K miles. Only saw 2 2005 Frontiers come in for clutch replacement. For both, it was obvious driver habits since there was major blue spots on the flywheels. However, we did replace both under warranty.
I don't blame the clutch as defective. I think its the way the clutch feels. It is just so soft. No feedback. The first time I drove a manual 350Z, I had a hard time with the clutch feel. They need to make the clutch feel stiffer!
Also, the if the clutch was defective, then there should be alot more vehicles out there, from other manufacturers, with defective clutches. Nissan is supplied by Daikin Clutch, which is also the manufacturer and parent company of Exedy, who supplies manufacturers like Toyota and Honda as well.
#8 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:31 PM
NissanForums Newbie

I had a "03" 350Z one of the first uk versions, I sold the car back to the Nissan dealer after the 3rd clutch was fitted at 22k, first clutch 9k second 16k third 22k, lots of complaints to Nissan with NO joy at all I even wrote to Top Gear expressing how poor this car was. still enjoying my manual BMW with no clutch problems at all, I have bee driving for over 20 years never had a automatic and this is the first car I had to have the clutch replaced, don't tell me its driver problems, I was well informed that the ? Nissan dealers mechanic was not trained on working on any Nissan ? this cost me for clutch 2 and 3 not a happy experience at all and I rate this cat a top number zero pice of junk
#9 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM
NissanForums Newbie

O sorry I am happy to post you copies of all letters sent to Nissan
#10 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
NissanForums Newbie

just fried clutch and flywheel at 450 miles

STRANGE, I was at the dealer today explaining how I drive it like a baby and smell a burnt mustardy odor. He told me it should be fine, then revs without clutch kicking in, then the shifter seized to shift. totally bummed out, pushed a 2006 350z for a 1/2 mile with only 450 miles on it as a professional driver and it is nothing but a 30k piece of sheetmetal.

what a waste? how do I handle this??? thanks.
#11 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
NissanForums Newbie

sounds like you got a defective clutch from the factory. it happens every once in awhile. I will assume you know how to drive a standard and don't let your foot rest on the clutch pedal with the clutch engaged (ie...driving). I will also assume that you do not rev the motor too high when leaving from a stand still and that you slowly release the clutch pedal. I will also assume that you do not sit at a stop light with the clutch pedal pressed in, holding it there while waiting for the light to change. With that said, there is no reason your clutch should have failed so early on. Nissan needs to step up to the plate, and take care of you. If not for customer service for gods sake. "Once, shame on us (Nissan), twice, shame on you". Did that make sense? Nissan should go ahead and replace the clutch giving you the benefit of the doubt. If it happens again, than they can blame your driving habits...but it is too premature to blame you at this point. Ask for the division manager and see if he can help you.

Good Luck,
Joe
#12 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Sorta-Newbie

has anyone thought about making sure hte clutch sas adjusted properly? Under the dash at the top of the pedal there is a nut you loosen and then tuen the shaft till it's jsut slightly loose. it looks to me more like mis-adjustment from the factory (meaning the dealers are not proerply doing the make ready as they should. checking clutch adjustment is part of the make ready) and the dealers are not wanting to eat the $ it takes to warranty them out seeing that the fctory will not cover their work for improper delivery to the customer.

i al willing to bet msot of these cases are from mis-aligned clutches from the factory and the dealers are not doing their make ready's properly.

dealers suck....
#13 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
shitthatkilledelvis

I have an '05 with 11k miles on mine and something feels wrong on mine too. been driving stick all my life and never had a problem with clutches on any cars except this. it has been adjusted once to place the engagement point closer to the floor and after a month it has steadily been moving farther and farther back in the pedal throw. It takes a fair amount of hard driving before you destroy a clutch and i am unwilling to believe it is poor driver habits. i'm taking it in this week to bitch about it...
#14 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM