Frozen Door Lock, Actuator, X-Trail
This past fall, near Montreal, the temperature dropped below 0 C. and the door locks froze, all four passenger doors. They were either frozen shut or frozen open, as described here by most. As a footnote, every year, late summer, I spray the door rubbers with silicon to displace moisture and to discourage the rubbers from freezing to the metal. This has nothing to do with the locks but it does a great job of preventing the door from freezing to the body.
I learned a few things disassembling the doors and dehydrating and then lubricating the lock mechanisms. For one, since all the door locks are electric and remote, there is an electric actuator at the latch (the dirty part that you can see when the door is opened).
Removing the actuator revealed its ability to trap humidity. We pried off a rubber seal that fits over the contacts (the seal is a rectangle, rust-orange-clay colored), revealing a gap around each contact. That gap allowed access to spray a Mopar releasing spray (displace moisture and leave an oily residue). Spraying that stuff caused a lot of rust to rinse off and we were able then to watch the lock move much more freely. It was in the habit of sticking in the locked position, reluctant to release, even in the heated garage.
We also ran the Mopar stuff through the lock cylinders. On the actuator, we were able to see the spray(s) run through and out the bottom (holding the contact end up).
The next thing we sprayed is the BoeShield (mentioned in a prior post near this one). We sprayed that into all the same places.
We are supposed to get above-freezing weather this week, with rain, followed by below-zero cold. If that sequence does not freeze the locks, then I will know that this was worth the effort.
The X-Trail sleeps in an unheated carport so I can keep rain off of it.