OIL Change HELP - Nissan Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec CANADA
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to alofano
Cool OIL Change HELP


Hello everyone. I'm Andy from CANADA. First time here. I have a 2006 x-trail and I would like to change the oil and filter myself. This will be the SUV's first oil and filter change (2000 km, break-in period). I would like to know what brand and grade you recommend ? Also, what are the steps to change the oil and filter ? I checked the underneath of the SUV and it seems straight forwards EXCEPT for one thing. Do I need to remove that plastic cover that protect the oil filter ? If so ... how ?

Any HELP here in order for me and my SUV's first oil and filter change would be helpful.

Thanks in advance !


Last edited by alofano; Dec 10th, 2005 at 06:07 PM.
alofano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:43 AM
TjC
Nissan Enthusiast
 
TjC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: The Couver
Posts: 222
yes u have to remove the plastic cover.
i blieve its like 3-4 10mm bolts holding the thing in
remove it and you will see the oil filter

05 X-Trail tinted windows all the way aroundcruiser spoilermegan reacing CF exhaustmegan racing cold air intakemegan racing oil catch canXenon.com 6500K HID tribal 3rd brake light coverpioneer avic D1 navigation deckKicker ampKicker solobaric L7 12"custom painted interior
TjC is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
wasabi4ever's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 121
Thumbs down

I personally won't recommend it.
Many dealership will void the warranty if you does it yourself. Some of them even prefer you do oilchange through Nissan only (or toyota, whatever the make is).
If you do it elsewhere they required proof that you actually had oilchange done and on time.
If something go wrong down the road they could say because you didn't have any record of any oil change or because you haven't done any.
Just a thought.
wasabi4ever is offline  
post #4 of 29 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec CANADA
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to alofano
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi4ever
I personally won't recommend it.
Many dealership will void the warranty if you does it yourself. Some of them even prefer you do oilchange through Nissan only (or toyota, whatever the make is).
If you do it elsewhere they required proof that you actually had oilchange done and on time.
If something go wrong down the road they could say because you didn't have any record of any oil change or because you haven't done any.
Just a thought.

Great insight. Thanks.
alofano is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: GTA
Posts: 100
Send a message via MSN to Lukasz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjC
yes u have to remove the plastic cover.
i blieve its like 3-4 10mm bolts holding the thing in
remove it and you will see the oil filter
Are you sure you're taking the right cover off? The only cover that I know had to be removed was the plastic cover that just snaps off. It's held in place by just one snap.

Also, the technician at service manager said that they have no problems with people changing their own oil and it does not void the warranty, as long as you make sure that you keep all receipts for the oil and filter, and write down the mileage on it when you change the oil. He said that this is enough proof. Although, doing it yourself means that if anything goes wrong and you screw up...then obviously you'r ethe one responsible (if it has to do with the oil change)
Lukasz is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:19 AM
TjC
Nissan Enthusiast
 
TjC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: The Couver
Posts: 222
yeah man underneath my car there is 4 10mm bolts that hold the cover in
once taken off the oil filter is exposed in plain site

05 X-Trail tinted windows all the way aroundcruiser spoilermegan reacing CF exhaustmegan racing cold air intakemegan racing oil catch canXenon.com 6500K HID tribal 3rd brake light coverpioneer avic D1 navigation deckKicker ampKicker solobaric L7 12"custom painted interior
TjC is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Sorta-Newbie
 
qr25madness's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 15
If you use a genuine nissan filter you should be in the clear, because there is no way for a dealer to know the difference. But don´t take my word for it.
I´ve used motul synthetic since new, and i´ve never had to add oil between oil changes...to my surprise, given the fact that many QR25 owners in many cars are reporting high oil consumption.
BTW, my xtrail was one of the first ones in mexico, got it late 2001 as a 2002 model, currently 50k+ km and no problems, apart from the muffler that crapped out last week.

cheers!
qr25madness is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Nissan Addict
 
Bror Jace's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 941
Exclamation

I change my oil myself ... wouldn't have it any other way.

As long as you have receipts and other records showing you did the work, you shouldn't have any warranty problems.

--- Bror Jace
Bror Jace is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old May 26th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Nissan Fanatic
 
LEONGSTER's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 280
I would read the terms of warranty carefully, and only service the car yourself if you can live with a worst-case scenario - they void the warranty due to non-compliance.

Last edited by LEONGSTER; May 26th, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
LEONGSTER is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old May 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Nissan Fanatic
 
LEONGSTER's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 280
I try to avoid mechanics and garages and dealerships for all the usual reasons. So I end up servicing my own cars as much as I can. In the past I worked on the advertising account of a known german car maker and this is what I know with almost 95% certainty:

Car makers these days honor a warranty only if its been maintained and serviced by the appointed dealership. That way the dealership gets to make some money after they sell you a car. It's all part of the "arrangement" that car makers have with their dealerships.

I know for a fact that a certain german engineered car (my family has three between us) functions along these lines. They even omit important information from their manuals like the type of engine and transmission oils, refering to them as "service items # this or that".

You'd need inside info or heavy research on the net to find out the right alternatives.

Look at it this way: Car makers have gotten squeezed in recent years on their margins, with competition and warranty's and all that. So something's gotta give. Either the metal gets thinner and the parts count drops, or they try to make some of that back by making sure you use their own branded fluids and filters and such, instead of OEM.

If you want to change the oil purely because of an extra-rigorous maintenance regime
then make sure you use an original oil filter. The oil they can't really tell. But if it's another brand name filter, they can make things difficult.

Last edited by LEONGSTER; May 26th, 2006 at 07:10 AM.
LEONGSTER is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old May 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Sorta-Newbie
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 19
Do it yourself, oil changes are very easy to do, easy enough that techs at dealerships usually whip through it in no time. What does that mean??? They're in a rush to finish your oil change and move on to another, that means they'll get your drain plug back on even before all your old oil's drained out and you're paying what???? $40-50 bucks a shot each time????? No way!!!!!!

I do all oil changes myself on my cars, takes less than .5 hour and that's with me letting all the oil drain out before I put the plug back in (once it starts dripping slowly that's good enough, if I have time I let it drip even longer while I'm doing other things like maintenance checks and stuff). Plus I usually change it hot so the oil drains faster, just watch you don't burn yourself with the hot oil.

Just buy a good quality oil, get the proper Nissan filter with the drain plug washer (replace at every oil change) and make sure the rubber gskt from the old filter comes off before screwing the new filter on (hand tight with a little tug is good enough), add new oil to the proper level and you're good to go.

Tony

Keep all receipts for parts bought for the oil change and the date it was done in case there is an issue and the dealer needs proof that oil changes and other preventive maintenance work was done.

T. Chan
01 Sentra SE, daily driver
96 Pontiac Formula, summer ride
Cman is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old May 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Nissan Fanatic
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maple Ridge BC
Posts: 298
Why don't you just contact Nissan Canada and ask them what they say?

They will probably tell you that as long as there is proof of the oil change you're good.

Can't hurt to check.
ERBell is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old May 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
NissanForums Newbie
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec CANADA
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to alofano
Thumbs up Tony your the BEST, Thanks.

Tony your the BEST, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman
Do it yourself, oil changes are very easy to do, easy enough that techs at dealerships usually whip through it in no time. What does that mean??? They're in a rush to finish your oil change and move on to another, that means they'll get your drain plug back on even before all your old oil's drained out and you're paying what???? $40-50 bucks a shot each time????? No way!!!!!!

I do all oil changes myself on my cars, takes less than .5 hour and that's with me letting all the oil drain out before I put the plug back in (once it starts dripping slowly that's good enough, if I have time I let it drip even longer while I'm doing other things like maintenance checks and stuff). Plus I usually change it hot so the oil drains faster, just watch you don't burn yourself with the hot oil.

Just buy a good quality oil, get the proper Nissan filter with the drain plug washer (replace at every oil change) and make sure the rubber gskt from the old filter comes off before screwing the new filter on (hand tight with a little tug is good enough), add new oil to the proper level and you're good to go.

Tony

Keep all receipts for parts bought for the oil change and the date it was done in case there is an issue and the dealer needs proof that oil changes and other preventive maintenance work was done.
alofano is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 89
sorry to bring up an old thread, but....

On our Honda and Toyota the oil changes were every 6 months . I noticed Nissan is one of those who has an every 3 month oil change, WHY ? if others can have the 2 a yr oil change why not Nissan?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

thanks
JF
babber is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Nissan Fanatic
 
LEONGSTER's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by babber
sorry to bring up an old thread, but....

On our Honda and Toyota the oil changes were every 6 months . I noticed Nissan is one of those who has an every 3 month oil change, WHY ? if others can have the 2 a yr oil change why not Nissan?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

thanks
JF
Our X-trail's oil change is set at 6 months or 12,ooo km, whichever comes first.

Our Mercedes workshop reminds us to bring in our Mercs for servicing every six-months - and we were told initially the cars only needed an oil change every 12 months, or 25,000km.

Either there's a misprint in the literature you have, or someone in your respective dealership is trying to be too enterpising here.

Or, it could be as simple as this: If it's a new car it may need to have it's FIRST oil change at 3 months (not unusual).

In which case, no worries there!


:-)
LEONGSTER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Truck & SUV > X-Trail

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter you desired username.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Engine Oil???? MCHNHED B14 95-99 chassis 89 Oct 23rd, 2014 12:27 PM
ask for help on transmission oil and steering oil change xbhong B14 95-99 chassis 1 Sep 15th, 2005 02:29 PM
Oil type and change intervals for turbo velardejose Forced Induction & Nitrous Oxide 5 Jul 18th, 2005 11:12 PM
2005 Pathy Oil Change undallas Truck & SUV 7 Apr 26th, 2005 07:54 AM
Oil change interval altima96gxe U13 1993-1997 Altima 6 Aug 28th, 2004 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome