Metal Vibrating sound - Nissan Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 40
Metal Vibrating sound

I have a 95 Altima, 5 speed. When I'm accelerating I hear a faint noise coming from under the hood somewhere. It's not serious, the car runs fine. But the noise is driving me crazy.

It sounds like metallic vibration. Or like something has come loose and is moving around when it shouldn't be. It's only when I accelerate.

This must be common because my father who has a 96 automatic occasionally has the same noise.

It's a little hard to describe, so I can't provide any more details about it, and I doubt that this description will help anyone diagnose it. But I thought I'd throw it out there because it does seem to be a common occurrence in Altimas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:50 AM
I miss good ol' OT
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Classified
Posts: 1,715
Send a message via AIM to Marvin Send a message via Yahoo to Marvin
What octane do you use in the tank? If it's not premium, wait until you are nearly empty, fill it up with the 91 or 93 and see if it goes away. Might be engine knock.

I once owned the baddest Altima in all the land. Yeah, it was my land, but why should I care about yours?
#3 Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Superdooper Modderpooper!
 
Asleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Ca
Posts: 3,192
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
does it sound like a chain rattling? does the sound go away if you "floor" it? if it does then that would be really close to detonating as Mark said. that can be treated by better gas as he said or by way of a tune up with the timing checked and set. bad timing alone can cause detonation. if its not detonation, it could be your timing chain rattling against the chain guides. our engines have a timing chain and not a timing belt so the engine is louder by design.
#4 Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Biru O' Kudasai
 
KA24Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Golden CO
Posts: 1,426
It could be the hood prop is missing the rubber or the clip or it could be the exhaust shielding is loose. It maybe the timing chain try changing the oil with a higher viscosity this should quiet it down if that is making noise.

Troy

SHIFT_Happiness
1992 S13 240SX SE Fastback KA24DE 5 spd
1993 U13 Altima SE KA24DET 5 spd
1990 Z32 300ZX VG30DETT 5 spd
Still trying to import a 1988 R31 Skyline GTS-R w/ RB20DET-R
#5 Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Sorta-Newbie
 
Partyboy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16
Send a message via Yahoo to Partyboy25
Yeah, I heard this type of noise in my 200sx se. It was there for a couple weeks and now(last night) my car died. The tow truck guy got it today (also the owner of the shop) and he said I had thrown a rod. I dont know if this is the same problem your having, but be careful.
#6 Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyboy25
Yeah, I heard this type of noise in my 200sx se. It was there for a couple weeks and now(last night) my car died. The tow truck guy got it today (also the owner of the shop) and he said I had thrown a rod. I dont know if this is the same problem your having, but be careful.
No its not the same problem...Mine is not causing any sort of mechanical problem and is not getting any worse.

I believe Troy is probably correct, because I have yet to change my oil after I got some gas down in there from flooding the engine. The mechanic had told me to make sure I changed my oil because it reaked of gas. Just haven't had time....I'll post after I change the oil, to say whether it went away.

Thanks for the help.
#7 Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 27
i have a 93 and had the same problem it turned out to be the heat shield on the exhaust under the car but it did sound like it was coming from the engine.
#8 Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75
My altima 95 also had exactly same thing you described,short after I bot it. That was driving me nuts! Than with my friends help I found it. There were two rusty metal rings hanging over the header pipe. No idea how it got there - probably somebody forgot to to remove pieces of old parts when replacing,or something else,but the rings where solid and it took a lot of effort to remove them. It was a huge relief - I thought it was something serious. So,I suggest to ask somebody to push gas pedal while parked and listen sounds from under the car.
#9 Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoudine
My altima 95 also had exactly same thing you described,short after I bot it. That was driving me nuts! Than with my friends help I found it. There were two rusty metal rings hanging over the header pipe. No idea how it got there - probably somebody forgot to to remove pieces of old parts when replacing,or something else,but the rings where solid and it took a lot of effort to remove them. It was a huge relief - I thought it was something serious. So,I suggest to ask somebody to push gas pedal while parked and listen sounds from under the car.
Thanks.

What's the header pipe?

sk
#10 Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75
Pipe that goes from engine to catalytic converter. It's visible from underneath the car. Would be nice if you can lift the car or put front weels (at least one) on something higher level,like a sidewalk and look under. it is close to center of the car. Haynes Manual will help to locate it. Heat shields are there too (over the pipe). Do not forget to apply parking brakes if goung under the car !.

Last edited by Agoudine; Mar 26th, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
#11 Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Nissan Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoudine
Pipe that goes from engine to catalytic converter. It's visible from underneath the car. Would be nice if you can lift the car or put front weels (at least one) on something higher level,like a sidewalk and look under. it is close to center of the car. Haynes Manual will help to locate it. Heat shields are there too (over the pipe). Do not forget to apply parking brakes if goung under the car !.
Thank you...will do!
Reply

  Nissan Forum > Altima/Stanza > U13 1993-1997 Altima

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vibrating sound in exhaust psuLemon GA16DE 1.6L Engine 9 Oct 30th, 2004 11:54 AM
Funny metal sound when reversing jaylivesinsf S13 240SX 1989-1994 3 Jun 27th, 2004 10:53 PM
Intermitent Metal Rubbing Sound Sentra GTR-1 GA16DE 1.6L Engine 2 May 2nd, 2004 02:08 PM
metal on metal sound psuLemon GA16DE 1.6L Engine 4 Apr 13th, 2004 08:32 PM
metal grinding sound...help? StevenLK GA16DE 1.6L Engine 8 Nov 27th, 2003 08:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On